Chatter/Noises - things to look for. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chatter/Noises - things to look for.

New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery MountsComplete Axle Options Expanded !!!! ECGSNEW Smittybilt Gen 2 9.5 winch at JeepHut.com

Unread 06-10-2013, 09:03 PM   #1
Jerms1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Chatter/Noises - things to look for.

Hello all! - I Just bought my first jeep - 94 yj 2.5l.

Currently, if I tap the gas while driving I hear chatter/clanking. I also hear it when hitting a bump. It sounds like its right under me. I took a look and I see the transmission mount isn't in the best of shape, so I'm going to change it. I don't think the mount is the only thing wrong. What else should I look for while I have this apart?

Thanks for the help!

Jerms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:38 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah a sign of all mounts. When the tranny one goes bad it puts a strain on the motor mounts might want to check those too. There is also supposed to be a torque arm mount right there also.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2013, 10:48 PM   #3
jred
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing I'd suspect is the transfer case skid plate on tight?
jred is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 06:40 PM   #4
Jerms1
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Transfer case/skid play are all tight and not moving.

I noticed the motor jumped while in reverse, so I checked the motor mount. It was bad, I replaced it the next day.

W/ the torque arm - How do I tell if its bad?
Jerms1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #5
Firefyter-Emt
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Could be exhaust too... Check for a loose cat shield, or maybe a baffle inside the muffler let go. (Plauged with that one right now, and accidently ordered a TJ cat back from Summit and had to re-order!) But that is making a nasty rattle and does not present itself as a muffler problem at all. I had to crawl under the Jeep ahd have someone start it to find out it was inside the muffler. My exhaust is rock solid tight too!
Firefyter-Emt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #6
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Agree with the mounts (tranny and engine) being suspect with noises on take off. As far a rattle when hitting bumps or wash board, if the noise seems to transfer through the throttle pedal and sounds as though the radiator is rattling around or perhaps sounds like a loose shock mount,... then try placing a folded up wash cloth under both hood hinges across the cowl and close the hood on them to test. It is somewhat common for the cowl weather stripping between the cowl and backside of the hood to collapse and allow the hood to rattle against the cowl. If this noise goes away, then replace the stick on type weather stripping on the cowl.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.