Chasing A Smell - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chasing A Smell

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDSPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 11-02-2003, 09:15 PM   #1
YJHoller

Chasing A Smell

Here is the situation. I swapped out my old 4.2 last winter and put in a 4.0 Since then there has been this lingering smell, which is a combination of oil/grease/exhuast. Has anyone had any similar experiences or know of some things to look at?

Just some more info about my YJ. Its an 88 with about 190,000 miles on it. The engine has about 160,000. Its a hardtop, with hard doors. 5-speed manual. Can't think of anything else that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

YJHoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-02-2003, 09:40 PM   #2
PaxtonTransAm

I would think about where you could be leaking oil, grease, and or fuel from and check there.....
Unread 11-02-2003, 10:18 PM   #3
*Jeremy*

I would check the cross member that holds up the tranny,my rear main was leaking and a bunch of oil collected on the top of it all by the cat converter and tranny and had that smell for awhile untill i took it down and cleaned it all off.
Its like the cat would warm that area up enough to give that smell but not hot enough to just burn it all off.
*Jeremy* is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-04-2003, 08:52 AM   #4
YJHoller

Good Call

I am not leaking fluid of any type, or atleast not much. But I will definately check the cross member. I actually have a skid-plate, which I guess would hold even more fluid. I appreciate the hint.
YJHoller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.