Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Chasing A Smell

640 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  YJHoller 
#1 ·
Here is the situation. I swapped out my old 4.2 last winter and put in a 4.0 Since then there has been this lingering smell, which is a combination of oil/grease/exhuast. Has anyone had any similar experiences or know of some things to look at?

Just some more info about my YJ. Its an 88 with about 190,000 miles on it. The engine has about 160,000. Its a hardtop, with hard doors. 5-speed manual. Can't think of anything else that would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

#3 ·
I would check the cross member that holds up the tranny,my rear main was leaking and a bunch of oil collected on the top of it all by the cat converter and tranny and had that smell for awhile untill i took it down and cleaned it all off.
Its like the cat would warm that area up enough to give that smell but not hot enough to just burn it all off.

#4 ·
Good Call

I am not leaking fluid of any type, or atleast not much. But I will definately check the cross member. I actually have a skid-plate, which I guess would hold even more fluid. I appreciate the hint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.