Chasing problems...... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Chasing problems......

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 02-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #1
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Chasing problems......

So my '90 with the 2.5 is ill......been having issues with starting/rough idle over the last few weeks (thankfully it's not my DD!). Ended up finding that the TBI injector was leaking by as the bottom of the intake manifold was full of fuel after sitting for a bit. Ordered up a new injector and replaced it.....well that didn't fix the problem!

I had been getting a little bit of oil on the air filter every now and then, but not a lot. I've checked all my PCV vent lines and such, and they are all clear. So on a hunch today I finally got around to pulling the plugs and running a compression test on her. Plugs looked good for all cylinders, however the compression was not so hot....

#1: DRY @ 140
#2: DRY @ 55, WET @85
#3: DRY @ 150
#4: DRY @ 140

Looks like cylinder #2 has a compression issue. I have yet to run a leakdown test on her, but do you think I need to? Isn't it if the compression increases for the wet test it's pretty clear it's a ring issue rather than a valve issue?

Either way, it looks like I'm in the market for a replacement engine unless someone thinks that I might be able to salvage the one I have now (unfortunately due to funds I am unable to upgrade to the 4.0, nor do I really have the desire to).

Anyone have any thoughts to help me decide to fix this one, or get a questionable junker from a yard or CraigsList? I appreciate the input!

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1975 IHC Fleetstar 2010A Fire truck
'01 Jeep GC Laredo (SOLD)
1962 IHC BC-160 Fire Hose Wagon (SOLD)
jmfirefighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

You have choices bu they are all dependent on $$$. Overhaul yours at a local shop I got lucky last year $1250 long block rebuild. JY engines are just that so you know what to expect. CL engines are dependent on who you are dealing with. Some have a long story stay away and some actually are straight up and tell you what you are getting. So shop around and see whats out thhere it may surprise you. If you have the time and $$$ overhaul your and get the engine back you take them. Serial numbers on the receipt and in your notes.

AF Jeep Club Tail #184
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 03:01 AM   #3
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462 View Post
You have choices bu they are all dependent on $$$. Overhaul yours at a local shop I got lucky last year $1250 long block rebuild. JY engines are just that so you know what to expect. CL engines are dependent on who you are dealing with. Some have a long story stay away and some actually are straight up and tell you what you are getting. So shop around and see whats out thhere it may surprise you. If you have the time and $$$ overhaul your and get the engine back you take them. Serial numbers on the receipt and in your notes.
I'll have to get in touch with some machine shops in the area. I am THINK I am pretty comfortable around an engine and would have no problem putting the block back together as long as the machining was done for me and I was told what size/type of parts to buy, of if the shop would sell me the parts so I could put it together myself. Save on the labor cost having them put it all back together AND be able to give myself a pat on the back!

I got a mechanic friend the next town over so I'll have to go chat with him and see what suggestions he offers.

Thanks

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:41 AM   #4
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Wait! You are assuming it's the engine. You could just have a valve issue. Pull the valve cover and look. Make sure you aren't losing the compression through the valve. How many miles? 150 is pretty good. I might consider trying to pull it though the bottom and replacing just 1 if it is still low miles, but definitely start with the upper end.
Que89YJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 05:47 AM   #5
Renegad87
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I'd say start by pulling the head and see what is going on. Depending on the mileage you may not need to spend all the money on an overhaul yet. I lost compression in cylinder 5 on my 4.2 one time and pulled the head to find that a small section of the head gasket had disappeared between the cylinder and the valve push rod "chamber". Not to say this is whats wrong with yours since I have no experience with the 2.5L but it's worth it to pull the head. You never know what you may find.
Renegad87 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2013, 06:06 AM   #6
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

LOL REN and I thought the same thing and posted at the same time! Sounds like good advice!
Unread 02-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #7
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

That's actually a good idea I didn't think of. Is it possible that the wet compression test could have sealed up a leak of that nature enough to allow the compression to increase 30 psi? Like I said I always thought an increase in pressure during a wet test points to the rings/cylinder being the issue.

I have no idea about the number of miles on this engine. The chassis itself has 78000, but the engine is not original as it is out of an 89 XJ (had to chase down a pulley, and the dealer parts guy who is on the FD with me determined that this engine is not original). There is a marking on my fan shroud that says "60K" and a list of things (eng, tran) but somehow I think that is more of the mileage on the chassis when the motor was replaced and not the mileage of the motor.

I will look into this a little more before I drop any large amount of cash on this. I do have a source for a replacement engine with a trans that was from an 89 YJ which was pulled for a V8 conversion. Guy says it has 105K on it and that it ran fine (yeah, I know it's a risk either way), but for $200 for both it sounds like a decent but risky deal. I don't know if I should just pick it up JIC or wait but don't want to lose it to someone else. Every other pulled engine I have found has been outrageously priced with way more miles!

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #8
Que89YJ
Web Wheeler
1989 YJ Wrangler 

That engine sounds like a steal! I would grab it! Yes, you are right on the wet dry. I didnt catch that. l can only think of one more thing and that is bleed down for a bad/leaking head gasket.
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:19 AM   #9
ROTTEN
1994 YJ Wrangler 

For $200 for an engine and trans I would still buy them as spares if $$ permits
Unread 02-14-2013, 09:20 AM   #10
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Que89YJ View Post
That engine sounds like a steal! I would grab it! Yes, you are right on the wet dry. I didnt catch that. l can only think of one more thing and that is bleed down for a bad/leaking head gasket.
I figured it was a steal too! The guy is going to hold the engine for me for a bit until I can make the two hour one way drive to get it.

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.