Charging System - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Charging System

Eliminate Hood Flutter!!!Steinjäger photo contest!TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:28 PM   #1
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Charging System

So I just installed my taurus fan, I got 100w hella headlights and a set of hella fogs. I have a stock alternator and an old cheap battery. Before I added the efan I had no issues, voltmeter read 13-14V at night with the headlights on and fogs on. Now if I am running the fan, and kick the headlights on I drop down around 10 or so, and when I turn on the fogs it drops to the red, about 8V or so (at idle). I rev it and as the alternator spins faster, naturally the meter jumps up. Sooo.... I am sure it is the fact that I have a cheap old battery doesnt help, but should I go ahead and get a higher output alternator?

BeachMetalWorks Custom CNC cut Jeep parts & more
VACJ5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:32 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

High amp alternaotr is a good upgrade but have the battery tested first.

Are you using the fan on low with a controller? Are you using good heavy wires for everything?
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 06:41 PM   #3
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, got some beefy wiring on it (after burning up some undersized wiring and switches). With how warm it has been it is running pretty much all the time. I have a yellow top in my truck, might swap the 2 battery's out. What is the output of the stock alternator?

Unread 08-09-2010, 06:53 PM   #4
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by VACJ5 View Post
Yep, got some beefy wiring on it (after burning up some undersized wiring and switches). With how warm it has been it is running pretty much all the time. I have a yellow top in my truck, might swap the 2 battery's out. What is the output of the stock alternator?
Stock alt's are typically 75 or 90 amp. The part number on the alt will tell you what it is. If you were running fine before the e-fan, then check the maxi fuses in the PDC to make sure you didn't pop one of them. I don't see how the fan alone will cause the excess draw that you are describing, unless something is wrong with the fan motor.
idaholtby is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:08 PM   #5
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I hope you are using proper relays and not directly switching the fan. A taurus fan draws something like 75 amps on startup and 35 or so running. It's important to have it only on when it needs to be, like with a controller. Also, if it's running at the same time as a bunch or lights you will run out of power pretty quickly.

If I run mine for very long with the engine off I can hear the belt squeeking and the alternator working pretty hard to charge the battery back after starting it.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #6
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, I got it wired through a 60 amp relay, and that is only on the low side. I dont even have the high side wired. Aside from an adjustable fan controller, there are some that kick on/off at 180. Mine, like most 4.0's run at 210, so needless to say, the fan never kicks off, especially when we have been having 100 degree days. During the day when I dont need my headlights, I run at 13-14 volts with the fan on. So I dunno... maybe it is more about my headlights. hrmmm...

Unread 08-09-2010, 07:27 PM   #7
VACJ5
1991 YJ Wrangler 

and my switch is wired into my ground, so there is little no no draw through it.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.