Changing unit bearings. Need to get new axle nut? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing unit bearings. Need to get new axle nut?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-02-2014, 05:18 PM   #1
RocketUSA

Changing unit bearings. Need to get new axle nut?

Can the 175 foot pound axle nut be reused after replacing the unit bearing? I'm seeing some conflicting info online. Dorman products places a "It Is Recommended To Replace Every Time They Are Removed" statement on their website. Of course they're in the business of selling product, but also in the business of not getting sued. I'm definitely leaning toward taking their advice.

What is the experience others have had?

RocketUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 05:30 PM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I have used the same nuts probably 50 times with no issue.

Never even thought of changing them. But, I always use brand new cotter pins, those will break at the bend quite often.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:18 PM   #3
92 Green YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Same here. I've never replaced the nut when replacing a busted shaft or unit bearing. I do have a few spares from the junk yard in my tool box. But yeah, always just re use what's on there. As far as I know they may well be 22 years old and from the factory
Rubicon Express 4" Lift Kit, 2" Body Lift,15x8" AR 767s, 35x12.50 Xterrains, Home Made Snorkel, Sanden OBA, Home made rocker gaurds. 8.8 Rear with Discs, 4.10s F&R, ARB rear, Detroit EZ Locker front, WarnM8000 with Viking Synthetic Line, Beadlocks, Tons of Mods
My RigRater Score: 682RRv1.0 with a BOA of 13.47
I'm now doing custom bumpers and lift installs in So-cal
92 Green YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 08:35 PM   #4
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yes those nuts are not torque to yield like head bolts are.

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2014, 09:11 PM   #5
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Wicked tight those things are. Start PB blasting every bolt/nut you're going to have to remove ahead of time and annoint them ceremonially a few times a day with liberal doses of PB. I've had no problems with re-using these either, and I like to antiseize them so it's easier the next time you pull them off again.

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:23 AM   #6
RocketUSA

Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to update, the nut was relatively simple, breaker bar with PB Blaster (applied over several days in small amounts) and it came off. Ok, so we had to stand on it, but it came off. The real trouble was un-fusing the hub from the spindle. Had to apply pressure with a puller, then tap on the center driver of the puller, then add more pressure, then tap. Over & over. It was a real bugger, but eventually came off.
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketUSA View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Just to update, the nut was relatively simple, breaker bar with PB Blaster (applied over several days in small amounts) and it came off. Ok, so we had to stand on it, but it came off. The real trouble was un-fusing the hub from the spindle. Had to apply pressure with a puller, then tap on the center driver of the puller, then add more pressure, then tap. Over & over. It was a real bugger, but eventually came off.
I know its too late for you, but this may help someone else. The trick is to back out the bolts on the backside, leaving some threads in the hub an put a socket in there, wedged up against the knuckle, then turn the steering wheel into it to break it loose. My description may be a little fuzzy, it's been a couple of days since I did this, but I think you get the idea...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 10:59 AM   #8
RocketUSA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
I know its too late for you, but this may help someone else. The trick is to back out the bolts on the backside, leaving some threads in the hub an put a socket in there, wedged up against the knuckle, then turn the steering wheel into it to break it loose. My description may be a little fuzzy, it's been a couple of days since I did this, but I think you get the idea...

"Put a socket in there..."

Where exactly?
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:01 AM   #9
Varnish
Web Wheeler

1998 TJ Wrangler 

In between the yokes of the axleshaft so it can't bend/turn where the ujoint is.
'99 XJ 4dr SE
Varnish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #10
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketUSA View Post
"Put a socket in there..."

Where exactly?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Ly3pC8tzDc

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 12:58 PM   #11
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobile_Homie View Post
The trick is to use a gear puller on a work bench

And the real trick is to wheel with shafts ready to install

Unread 04-03-2014, 02:18 PM   #12
dtperk
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
And the real trick is to wheel with shafts ready to install

HA! That's awesome AM!
(RIP) '82 CJ-7 | AMC 4.2 (.30 Over), T-4 / D300 | D30 Front - LockRight, AMC20 Rear - ARB, Moser Axles / 4.10s | York Air Setup - 2.5 Gal Reserve, QD's Frt/Rr | 2.5" SUA, 1.5" Shackle & .75" Body | 4WDH Glass Tub, Fenders & Hood | Stainless all the way around | 33" BFG MTs
dtperk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 02:37 PM   #13
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Somewhere on the forum, or on Stu Olson's site, there is a writeup on this process, including the "socket technique" of getting the unit bearing separated from the hub. At work, I am somewhat limited by firewalls, but I will try to find the link and post it in.

Try this: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...a-30-a-360209/

It may not cover the unit bearing, and I cannot see the photos at work, but from the narrative it seems this socket technique is described, and likely there are illustrative photos.

You'd never believe some of the techniques I've resorted to in undoing those axle nuts, not just on Jeeps. I now have a mongo powerful impact wrench, and an "I'm overcompensating" air compressor so it's a simple process of brute force.

Quote:
Quote:
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:30 PM   #14
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
The trick is to use a gear puller on a work bench
I had mine out in ten min in the driveway and didn't have to pull the axle or replace seals. Either way...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-03-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
Opihi59
from here it gets rough

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Semtex sure is some handy stuff to have around........

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.