Changing serpentine belt on a 1994 Wrangler - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing serpentine belt on a 1994 Wrangler

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBaseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiBushed Sleeves & Poly Bushings!

Unread 04-08-2006, 06:26 PM   #1
Rocky529
Jeep

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Changing serpentine belt on a 1994 Wrangler

1994 Wrangler
6 Cylinder
No air conditioner

I tryed searching, but I believe it is time to change my dad's serpentine belt on his Wrangler. I do all my own maintenance on my 2004 Wrangler, but I am not familiar with the belt's setup on a 1994 Wrangler. Mine has an auto-tensioner... and I know his doesn't. I recall there being a bolt by the alternator that I loosen... take the belt off, install the new one and then torque down the same bolt? Is that it? If so, what's the torque spec for that bolt?

Thanks in advance.

Silver Metallic finish with black dual tops - Dana 44 Rear
2.25" Suspension Lift with Old Man Emu Shocks
Performance Accessories 1" Body Lift
Daystar 1" Motor Mount Lift
Spidertrax 1.25" Wheel Spacers - 32"x11.5" MT/R Tires
Rocky529 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:35 PM   #2
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The tensioner is underneath the power steering reservoir, you can't miss it. It's super long and a pain in the *** to turn.

20-25 ft lbs on the mounting bolts and 20 ft lbs on the tensioner.

And a new belt should be tightened between 180-200 lbs, tested between the idler and power steering pulleys.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-08-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
jeffy
1992 YJ Wrangler 

The tensioner should be built into the P/S pump mount. There should be 3 15mm bolts. Two in the back and one in the front, I think. Once the P/S is loose, you can loosen the lock but for the tensioner. The tensioned is a long screw that is perpendicular to the engine on the driver side. Loosening it will bring the P/S in and loosen the belt.
Unread 07-27-2006, 10:02 PM   #4
951 freak

serp belt problems

i just did my water pump and i was going to replace the serp belt problem is i have the right belt but it is too big and everywhere i lookfor diag i see idler pullys i dont have any on my motor and i did not take any off so what can i do?
951 freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 02:47 AM   #5
wwiihistory

When your done running it for the first time...you will probably need to retighten it due to its stretching a bit. Happened to mine when I changed it.....squeeled after a few days and had to adjust more.

95 Sahara, 4.0L, 5 spd, Olive/Tan, HT,HD's, 31's,3.07s

Military Jeep club member 1941,1942,1943,1944, and 1945
wwiihistory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #6
jipjip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffy
The tensioner should be built into the P/S pump mount. There should be 3 15mm bolts. Two in the back and one in the front, I think. Once the P/S is loose, you can loosen the lock but for the tensioner. The tensioned is a long screw that is perpendicular to the engine on the driver side. Loosening it will bring the P/S in and loosen the belt.
not on an I6, the tensioner pulley is next to the power steering pump. you loosen the center bolt of the pulley, then theirs a long bolt at the top of the pulley you loosen to make the pulley release tension on the belt.
95 yj sahara green w/ spice hard and soft top, bikini top,full steel doors, and 2 piece bestop soft doors,tnt customs front tube fenders w/ 6" flare,warn gas tank skid, skidrow oil pan skid,4.0HO,rear 31 spline 8.8 w/ disc brakes,4.10's and lsd,front HP d30 w/ 4.10's and aussie front locker,ax15,np231j w/ jb conversions ss sye, tom woods custom cv d/s,RE 4.5xd,35" toyo open country m/t's, 1" daystar body lift, warn 9.5ti
jipjip is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.