Changing to intermittent wipers - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing to intermittent wipers

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
Changing to intermittent wipers

I broke my signal lever off a while back, and I need a new switch for the high beams, and the turn signals, so Ill be changing the lever, the wiper motor switch, and the signal switch. Can I just get a wiper motor switch for intermittent wipers and be good to go?

AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM   #2
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,090
You would need the "system" which includes the switch and wiring inside the column, and there is a "module" that sits alongside the steering column under the dash you'd need as well. Do you have tilt, or non tilt column. Easier to find the switch for the tilt column, you can likely get what you need at a junkyard unless you want to purchase all new.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #3
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
I have the tilt column. Can you give me a link to this module I need? I already bought the lever and signal switch. Im was waiting to see if I could get the intermittent switch instead of the standard one, and if that module isnt too expensive, Ill go that route. And there are ZERO jeeps in junkyards around here, so Ill have to buy new.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:03 PM   #4
seattle_yj
Registered User
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Issaquah, WA
Posts: 948
I did this recently. Mine was broken and I was able to JB weld it back together. If you need just the lever it is here:
http://www.shopjeepparts.com/turn-si...FWdxQgoda2QAyA
If you need the thing it inserts into it is here:http://www.shopjeepparts.com/wiper-s...26q7n0p49i3vd3

There is a retention washer removal tool also needed and it is about 8 dollars.

I followed the Chilton instructions for this and it was SO-SO. kind of a PITA because that parts are hard to move together. There is a YouTube vid on this though I remember.
seattle_yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 05:27 PM   #5
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by seattle_yj View Post
I did this recently. Mine was broken and I was able to JB weld it back together. If you need just the lever it is here:
http://www.shopjeepparts.com/turn-si...FWdxQgoda2QAyA
If you need the thing it inserts into it is here:http://www.shopjeepparts.com/wiper-s...26q7n0p49i3vd3

There is a retention washer removal tool also needed and it is about 8 dollars.

I followed the Chilton instructions for this and it was SO-SO. kind of a PITA because that parts are hard to move together. There is a YouTube vid on this though I remember.
No, I need to change all the switches anyway. My signals dont lock in when I put them to one side, so I have to hold them, my headlights go off sometimes when I turn the brights on due to the faulty switch, and my front passenger signal lights up when I press the brake. Im hoping that last one has something to do with the switches. lol

Ive already got a new lever and signal switch. I didnt know I needed the windshield wiper switch at first, so that delayed my whole repair. Now Im getting it, but Id like to put intermittent wipers in.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,090
Here is a link to a thread that shows photos of the intermittent module: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...rmitt-1356146/

You would need this part in addition to the actual switch unit which is inside the column. The wire bundle runs down to the module under the dash, the rest of the circuit runs up to the wiper motor. Lousiana has no junk yards with Jeeps in them? I thought that is unique to HI where I have only ever seen 2 Jeep Wranglers in 14 years. I did see one in a "private" junkyard at one point. Are there any local Jeep clubs so you can look over someone's YJ with intermittent already in there? You may be able to get what you need from a Cherokee, I'm certain there will be a ton of them laying around in yards near you.

Here is a thread, one of the contributors (Idaholtby) has done the conversion to intermittent wipers. Maybe it will contain some useful information for you, or you can ask Idaolby directly via PM if he'll post into your thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...stion-1006024/
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
Here is a link to a thread that shows photos of the intermittent module: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/a...rmitt-1356146/

You would need this part in addition to the actual switch unit which is inside the column. The wire bundle runs down to the module under the dash, the rest of the circuit runs up to the wiper motor. Lousiana has no junk yards with Jeeps in them? I thought that is unique to HI where I have only ever seen 2 Jeep Wranglers in 14 years. I did see one in a "private" junkyard at one point. Are there any local Jeep clubs so you can look over someone's YJ with intermittent already in there? You may be able to get what you need from a Cherokee, I'm certain there will be a ton of them laying around in yards near you.

Here is a thread, one of the contributors (Idaholtby) has done the conversion to intermittent wipers. Maybe it will contain some useful information for you, or you can ask Idaolby directly via PM if he'll post into your thread.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/i...stion-1006024/
The Jeeps you can find in yards here are already stripped to nothing. Ive seen maybe 2 YJs in junkyards here, and they were some stock 4cyl stripped down to almost nothing.
There are also no Jeep clubs in my area that Im aware of. Most people interested in offroading around here like ridiculousily large trucks made to go through deep mud pits.

I can find some Cherokees pretty easily here, but honestly, when I factor in the time to find one, and the work to get the parts out, Id rather just get new parts that I know will work. Atleast when it comes to electrical stuff.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #8
Opihi59
from here it gets rough
 
Opihi59's Avatar
1993 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Beyond Honolulu
Posts: 4,090
If you can find a Cherokee, (yes, you can) you can at least see the lay-out of the system and that is one helluva benefit when you're doing a conversion. Give that a shot so you know the layout.
__________________
....I'm not smart, but I can lift heavy things.......

Fill out your PROFILE, and don't forget to look in the FAQ for writeups

I'm stuck on da Rock http://kamfamily.wordpress.com/2009/...waiian-limpet/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian4.2 View Post
We will be going Metric every inch of the way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40dog View Post
yes I'm a some guy and have always put gasket sealer on my surfaces before mating
Quote:
Originally Posted by Virjeep View Post
You should go to Pirate. I hear they are real smart over there. You'd fit right in.
Opihi59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:38 PM   #9
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
Meh after looking at all that Ill probably just stick with the regular high and low settings. Seems to be too much of a hassle to add all the other stuff. We dont get much rain here, and when we do, its usually too much for the intermittent.

Thanks for the help though guys.
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #10
AnonymousD
Registered User
1992 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 903
Ok one more question. All I can seem to find are switches for Jeeps without tilt and without intermittent, or ones for Jeeps WITH tilt and intermittent wipers. So since I have tilt, do I have to get the one for Jeeps with tilt and int wipers? Or do they make one for Jeeps with tilt and NO int wipers?

N/M
Found it.

http://www.jeep4x4center.com/wiper-s...-56000031.html
AnonymousD is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.