Changing fluids - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing fluids

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 11-04-2011, 09:50 AM   #1
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Changing fluids

Hey Guys,
Can I take off the skid plate under the tranny to change the oil without having to support the tranny? I can't get to the drain plug with it on.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]A country that tries to spend itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handles.[/I][/COLOR]

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

87 YJ I6, nuttered and rushed, 2.5" lift, 31x10.5, custom made f&r bumpers, Mojave heater, TJ flares, Superwinch S9000, hm swingout tire carrier, tool drawer, custom electical control, and more in the works...........
coleslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #2
Mobile_Homie
Desert Rat

1994 YJ Wrangler 

You will need to support the trans/t-case if you remove the belly pan. Is the plug really inaccessible, I don't know about standards, but I know I can get the pan off my auto without dropping the skid...

Smoke em if you got em!

Click here
Mobile_Homie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #3
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

Just put a floor jack under the transfer case and you'll be fine.

I have the AX-5 and the drain plug is in a very convenient place.
Unread 11-04-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, I even took it to my local oil change place and they couldn't do it either. I would call that an engineering snafu!

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][I]A country that tries to spend itself to prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself by the handles.[/I][/COLOR]

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

87 YJ I6, nuttered and rushed, 2.5" lift, 31x10.5, custom made f&r bumpers, Mojave heater, TJ flares, Superwinch S9000, hm swingout tire carrier, tool drawer, custom electical control, and more in the works...........
Unread 11-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #5
coleslaw
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Got it done. You can get to the drain plug with the pan on but the oil will just run into the pan, no hole to go through. You can't get to the fill hole with the pan on however and it isn't easy with it off. Here is bit of info for anyone doing this. The fill and drain plugs on the B10/5 tranny take a 5/16 male pipe plug socket to get them out. Bloody engineers!

Thanks all

[I]Winston Churchill[/I]

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.