changing the color of wrangler dash - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
mazzdog

changing the color of wrangler dash

i just bought a 93yj for a good price...theres some things that i dont like about it ,but it was such a good price i can overlook some things...however im not to happy with the spice color dash,and i want to change it to black...Buying a new dash is a little $$ I was wondering if any of you guys ever painted ur dash? Whats the best paint to use? Ive seen some guys paint there stuff and it looks like crap...believe or not i used some fabric paint on my roll bar pads and it turned out great..i was just messing around with it..i had a can laying around my garage and gave it a try..i was shocked that it turned out so good..im just hoping i have the same luck with the dash...thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 03:07 PM
Big_Black_YJ

i blacked my Dash with a couple cans of Vinyl paint from Autozone, i'm not sure who makes it , but it worked awesome

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #89
New England Jeep Club Member #5
The Official I Own a Toy Jeep Club Member #5
Swamp Donkey 4x4

1994 Saab Aero
*MAPTUN STAGE 7, *3" JT Exhaust, *SQR intake
470HP...1/4 mile ET: 12.67 @116MPH

post #3 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 03:18 PM
MDEnce

1995 YJ Wrangler 

dash color

Yeah, I painted my spice dash black last year.
I wanted to do a really good job, so I removed everything, cleaned everything good, and used a special spray paint from the auto parts store made for this kind of thing. I think it was called Plastic-Color or something
I also did the innside panels of my lower hard doors.
The dash turned out fine (I'd use regular paint for the speaker cut-outs though)
After I got it in the sun I noticed a couple places where the paint wasn't totally covering, but a couple strokes of my trusty "Sharpy" and you couldn't tell.
The doors were another story!
They looked fine for a couple months. Then I went to Rubicon, and when I got back it was starting to peel/chip on the top. Then I left it in the rain w/out the uppers on, and it got worse. It's pretty messed up now. I'm gonna have to do it again this year when it warms up and I get some time. I'm gona sand it alot better this time. Maybe try a primer - or maybe just bedliner. I saw some guys were doing that and wanted to find out how well it lasted.
Hope this helps.
Let us know how it turns out

95 YJ Rio Grande 2.5L I4 5-speed
Got some stuff - always need more stuff
WHITE Jeep Club Member #95
97 XJ Sport 4.0L I6 Auto
Wife's Jeep - 2" budget boost and 31" BFG AT's

post #4 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 04:03 PM
COJAM

or you could swap the dash. I am in the process of it right now.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/reviews/dash/rlwdash.html

It looks so cool. Not easy but worth it. The stock YJ dash just sucks.

GBD
post #5 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 04:32 PM
Jeepfan Jeff

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I repainted the door panels for our crane truck at work, I went to the paint and body supply and bought sone special primer(made by PPG or Dupont I don't remember) and some back paint made for plastic. It has held up well, just let it cure good before you abuse it. We also use Bulldog primer for flexible pastics. None of these needed thinning, just strain and spray(Bulldog can be bought in an aerosol can also).
post #6 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 06:46 PM Thread Starter
mazzdog

thanks guys...some good ideas....im going to try this week if the weather is nice...and the doors were going to be my next question...i was going to try to paint the lower part(half doors) or i was thinking on some kind of black diamond plate...,but im glad you guys told me it works..i think i know what kind of paint u used..i had it in my hand when i went to pep boys,but i thought that i would ask for advice before i screw my dash all up..
post #7 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 06:55 PM
Jeepfan Jeff

1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not framiliar with all the options but I do know that what Iused works very well
i did my pans at least 5 yrs back and they are holding up great. Hope what ever you decide works well.

Jeff
post #8 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 08:24 PM
Lineleader

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Back to the spice colored dash......has anyone located paint to match the steering wheel column? The paint is worn by key chains or keys rubbing against it.

If not, I guess you just paint the whole column black? Any other ideas?

Thanks.
post #9 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 08:59 PM
BeatAChevy289

My dash was faded grey and I hated it. I took off all the dash panels and scrubbed them in soapy water with a brillo pad. After that I shot them with gloss black Krylon Fusion spray paint. It's the kind that is made to bond to plastic. I did it maybe 8 months ago and have no peeling, fading or cracking. I would highly reccomend it because you don't have to sand or prime the surface. Painting the door panels is a BAD experience. Mine are all screwed up from me doing that. I am just going to cover mine in black speaker box carpet now. Later <><

1995 Firebird Formula, 6-speed, LT1 V8, t-tops, open exhaust. **In the For Sale section***
1966 Ford Mustang, Hi-Po 289 V8, 4:11's, I dare you to race me.
<><

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(different from the other link)
post #10 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 09:35 PM
CosmicCreeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Spray the door panels with 3M max strength adhesive and cover them with velor, or what ever you want. I've put in headliners and door panels and it's easy as mad, take your time and you'll make it look great.

USN Jeep Club Hull #1
post #11 of 15 Old 03-15-2005, 09:57 PM
LilViper95

1993 YJ Wrangler 

the previous owner of my jeep De-spiced it, the dash panels came out really good and you cant tell they used to be spice, the door panels suck. and the roll bar covers he installed have no padding under them. I would have liked the spice better i think but its too late now

04 Ram 2500 5.9L 24v HO Cummins

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #12 of 15 Old 03-16-2005, 04:00 AM Thread Starter
mazzdog

i got lucky my steering wheel and plastic around it is black..so i wont have to touch that. The doors i might hold off on....i like the carpet idea,but i really think im going to try black diamond plate

93yj(6cyl) 81cj8(360)not on road yet

Last edited by mazzdog; 03-16-2005 at 10:41 AM.
post #13 of 15 Old 03-16-2005, 10:45 AM
pushead

Fusion by Krylon. Spray paint made just for plastic. Did my whole dash, doors and steering wheel with it. Comes out great. Just make sure you prep it well. You will need to get some kind of stripper to remove any armourall type substances. Dont remember what its called but if you dont it wont come out as nice even if you never used armourall.

Its not a jeep if it dont have 4wd.
post #14 of 15 Old 03-16-2005, 06:01 PM
BudmanV6

Are you guys talking about painting the vinyl panels on full doors, or the plastic panels on half doors? I painted my full door panels and it worked great. I got the paint at an autbody paint shop. Some stuff from ppg, worked great.
post #15 of 15 Old 03-16-2005, 06:27 PM
CosmicCreeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Use isopropal alcohol to clean the armor-all off the dash, it works well at stripping wax also. Another option on the dash is ruff it up good then gelcoat it like you would fiberglass, or make your own fiberglass dash, it's easy and makes you unique not to mention if you make your own fiberglass dash you can have your heating and AC vent anyplace you want.

USN Jeep Club Hull #1

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.