Changing Charcoal Canister - - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changing Charcoal Canister -

99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights Clear Cor99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Chrome Headlights99-04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo Dark Headlights

Unread 12-22-2009, 08:03 AM   #1
lewes2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Changing Charcoal Canister -

I have strong gasoline fumes coming from the front of the Jeep, particularly when shutting down. Based on a search of forum, I assumed it's the charcoal canister causing the problem and ordered a new one from MOPAR. ($31+).

Any quirks or pitfalls I should be aware of when swapping the new for the old canister? Special tools?

Thanks

lewes2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:24 PM   #2
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The canister is held in with a clamp and then has vacuum lines on top of it. Where did you find one? I checked awhile back and was told they had been discontinued and would have to go used or get one from a TJ.
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 12:49 PM   #3
lewes2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

As I understand from reading through various postings, Jeep went from an open collection system to a closed system somewhere between 1990 and 1992. It may have been to meet federal environmental requirements. Jeep stopped supporting the open system thus canisters for pre-circa 1991 Jeeps no longer available. However, for the later model year YJs, closed system canisters are still available from Chrysler.

Hope I have the facts (?) half way correct.

Mine is a 94.

Purchased canister here:

Chrysler Parts Center.com
lewes2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #4
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

why not just change the filter inside the canister? i did that on mine when before i went to do emissions
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 06:11 PM   #5
PrinothPro
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbelman2009 View Post
why not just change the filter inside the canister? i did that on mine when before i went to do emissions
how you do that?
PrinothPro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 07:05 PM   #6
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewes2 View Post
As I understand from reading through various postings, Jeep went from an open collection system to a closed system somewhere between 1990 and 1992. It may have been to meet federal environmental requirements. Jeep stopped supporting the open system thus canisters for pre-circa 1991 Jeeps no longer available. However, for the later model year YJs, closed system canisters are still available from Chrysler.

Hope I have the facts (?) half way correct.

Mine is a 94.

Purchased canister here:

Chrysler Parts Center.com
Certainly seems to be a difference, there it lists up to '91 then '92 to '96, they even show one available for mine. Cheaper than what I had to pay for a used one too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinothPro View Post
how you do that?

X2
timatoe is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2009, 11:12 PM   #7
bigbelman2009
1989 YJ Wrangler 

the bottom or top unscrewed iirc. i did it a year ago, bought the filter from advance
bigbelman2009 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.