Changed Speedometer Gear...still way off (the other direction!) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Changed Speedometer Gear...still way off (the other direction!)

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippMagnaflow SS Cat Back Exhaust System, Street, High Clearan

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #1
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Changed Speedometer Gear...still way off (the other direction!)

Changed to 32" tires (BFG ATs) with my stock 4.10 gears, and using the chart here, determined that I needed a 36 tooth gear:

http://www.quadratec.com/jeep_knowle...article-46.htm

Bought one, installed it, but now my Jeep appears to read about 5mph over the correct speed at 65mph. I verified this by driving next to a friends car, and by timing between mile markers. So my speedometer reads 70 when I'm going 65mph. I checked a few other online speedometer charts, and they all seem to say 36 teeth for my situation.

I was a little disappointed, as at first I thought the speedometer gear was some magically performance upgrade!

Has anyone else seen this issue? If 36 isn't the right number, what would be? I hate to keep buying gears!

Unread 07-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Forget trying to check the mph by driving next to your friend or mile markers.

Borrow a GPS and check your mph that way. Then go up or down as needed.

By the chart 36 is right although remember that not all tires are the same in height and changing tires brand to brand may or will throw off the speedometer a bit.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Siva283
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasinbuy View Post
Forget trying to check the mph by driving next to your friend or mile markers.

Borrow a GPS and check your mph that way. Then go up or down as needed.

By the chart 36 is right although remember that not all tires are the same in height and changing tires brand to brand may or will throw off the speedometer a bit.
^^^^This is the best advice you will get. Alot of 33's for instance are actually 32's

[QUOTE=Magnum;14117863] I gave the Jeep the required offering of $$, sweat, and blood, and everything works fine now. -- Jim[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ldso;16498409]. It started with a $200 axle, and a few thousand dollars later I was done :)[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Luuca;16122017]diagnose the real issue before you start going all Obama on it - spending mad cash you'll need for other important things.

Ask me how I know...[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Overhead;17658665]this is also my second set of RC springs this year. I'd rather spend the money again and get something that will last.[/QUOTE]
Siva283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
rage4order
1990 YJ Wrangler 

If you have a smartphone, there are speedometer apps, not to mention gps apps.
rage4order is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.