chain rattling noise indentification - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Did the noise your talking about increase with speed?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 08:39 AM
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Seems the noise increases with speed and RPM's are irrelevant. If that's the case then it has to be something in the driveline. When he says it sounds like chain rattle, one persons idea of the sound will be diff than someone else. Is there a better way of describing the noise you are hearing?
post #18 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The sound of a chain rattling is the best I can describe the noise, maybe the sound of a bad bearing. The noise sounds like it is coming from between the tranny and engine or somewhere in that area.

post #19 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
sebastian22
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I had a terribly annoying rattle a while back. It drove me crazy for a month until I finally found it. Just turned out to be one of the rods under the passenger seat was loose. I put some zip ties on it and now its all good. You might get lucky and it could be something stupid like this.

95 Black YJ
post #20 of 26 Old 11-28-2008, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I wish it was somthing as simple as that. I checked and nothing under my seat was loose. Could it be something in my transmission? My jeep made this noise before I put the new tranny in.. Is there a bearing that spins when in neutral and when the clutch is engaged. Maybe something in the axle?
post #21 of 26 Old 09-30-2009, 11:48 PM
midnightc2
1986 CJ7 

Hey, I think I have the same issue......!!!!!

Ok, so reguardless of cluch in / clutch out / neutral / in gear I have a clicking that gets louder when my Jeep rolls faster. ( Think about how as a kid, one would put a playing card in the spokes of the wheel to make a cool noise) Only this noise bugs the crap out of me!!! The noise comes from what sounds like somewhere between the transmission and front axles. I just replaced my vacuum hoses to the front axle (because my 4x4 light was stuck on due to lack of vacuum) and also replaced the vacuum switch on the TC ( It wasn't switching the vacuum at the front axle)
I had LesSchwabs check my the u-joints on the front axles (seemed tight), and they checked the axle bearings on the front by shaking the tires (They also seemed good)
I lubed up the front end, checked the front and rear diff. levels , checked the transmission levels and none of that did anything either. ( Didn't check the transfer case level cause I cant find a big enough socket for it, it's huge!)

My daily: 93' Wrangler- 4.0, 5spd AX15(with external slave swap) , NP231j, Dana 30/35 My Toy: 86' CJ7 Renegade
post #22 of 26 Old 09-30-2009, 11:50 PM
midnightc2
1986 CJ7 

by the way I just bought a 93 Yj 4.o , 5 speed, and I BELIEVE I have the ax-15 trans.......Don't go thinking the above post was for my CJ7

My daily: 93' Wrangler- 4.0, 5spd AX15(with external slave swap) , NP231j, Dana 30/35 My Toy: 86' CJ7 Renegade
post #23 of 26 Old 10-28-2009, 01:22 AM
midnightc2
1986 CJ7 

Man, sounds like the problem I'm having. Nobody listened to me either. People kept telling me exhaust or engine. They don't seem to understand that it's not engine related...... I can turn my Jeep off and roll it down a hill. As it ROLLs faster the noise gets faster and louder. How can someone say the exhaust might have a leak when the engine isn't even running! The sound seems to be coming from right under the shifter or maybe towards the front diff. Does that sound like your issue?
I rerouted my exhaust, cut out my cat, disconnected my front driveline, changed the fluid in the front differential, replaced my rear yoke and u-joint, had Les Schwab do a full shake down (twice), had a mechanic friend look at it, checked engine and transmission mounts with no change at all. I've since got a nastier sound that I think is clutch/transmission related. I am in the process of installing a used tranny and will check out the cluch while I'm in there. I'll find out if this changes the first sound too when I get it back together. If so I'll let you know, but untill then don't give up on your Jeep!

post #24 of 26 Old 10-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightc2 View Post
Man, sounds like the problem I'm having. Nobody listened to me either. People kept telling me exhaust or engine. They don't seem to understand that it's not engine related...... I can turn my Jeep off and roll it down a hill. As it ROLLs faster the noise gets faster and louder. How can someone say the exhaust might have a leak when the engine isn't even running! The sound seems to be coming from right under the shifter or maybe towards the front diff. Does that sound like your issue?
I rerouted my exhaust, cut out my cat, disconnected my front driveline, changed the fluid in the front differential, replaced my rear yoke and u-joint, had Les Schwab do a full shake down (twice), had a mechanic friend look at it, checked engine and transmission mounts with no change at all. I've since got a nastier sound that I think is clutch/transmission related. I am in the process of installing a used tranny and will check out the cluch while I'm in there. I'll find out if this changes the first sound too when I get it back together. If so I'll let you know, but untill then don't give up on your Jeep!

U-joints??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OD Green/Flat Black 92' 4" Rough Country Lift, tons of crap.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
post #25 of 26 Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM
gkainz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I bet it's the transfer case chain... yeah, I know you said it's new(er) but nothing else makes sense as you describe it.
post #26 of 26 Old 03-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Dcount7
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I'm having the exact same problem too. Did you ever find out what the problem was. Ive searched and searched and havent seen too many promising posts about a solution to it. Most people tell me the same things as you were told.(exhaust, loose linkage, loose bolts) I cant find anything. Pretty sure its not a throw out bearing. Ive read some interesting things though. Broken teeth in rear diff causing a rattle up the drive shaft. Im almost convinced mine is the TC chain. A year ago I had someone install a lift on along with an SYE. The guy that put the lift on subbed out the SYE work to a guy I didnt know. He pulled the whole transfer case and installed it. I was told when they dropped it off the lift, they couldnt get it to stay in gear. He said that the guy took the transfer case off again and "adjusted" it. Im not too familiar with TC's so I just went with it. Ever since then I have heard this noise. For the longest time I thought it was my exhaust because my lift kit that was installed was a long arm so the factory muffler was riding on the UCA and I figured that was the rattle. After getting a muffler shop to install a smaller muffler and hang everything out of the way the sound still continues. I just figure now that if i heard the noise only after the SYE was installed, and I still hear it, that has to be it. Drives fine though and has for some time now. Also took it to 4wheelparts and the guys there claim they dont hear anything. If you figured yours out it would be much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.