chain rattling noise indentification - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

chain rattling noise indentification

I am getting a chain ratteling noise coming from under my jeep. It happens when I am in neutral or when the clutch is engaged, while coasting or when I shift. The noise only comes around only after I have been driving around for a while.
I have already tried a few different solutions. Changed the u joints in the drive shaft. The tranny is an ax15 and was rebuilt about a year ago. The np231 transfercase is new to me out of an 03. I have only had this jeep for a year and I am slowly trying to fix issues that it has. The jeep has made this noise since I bought it. This is the only noise left to fix until I have a quiet ride (for a jeep).

Any help is much appreciated

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 10:09 AM
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does the noise happen when not rolling? Could be many things, but since you mention that it happens after you have been driving for a while, I would check the Cat or the heat shield for it.
post #3 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 10:19 AM
Tj's Yj
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Throw out bearing ?

post #4 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
Does the noise happen when not rolling? Could be many things, but since you mention that it happens after you have been driving for a while, I would check the Cat or the heat shield for it.
The noise only occurs when in motion. How do I check to see if it's the cat?

Also, when I had the tranny out I changed the slave cylinder
post #5 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 12:29 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'll check the cat but it sounds like it's coming from the t case tranny area. Could it be a bad pilot bearing? I don't think it is because i should see a difference when the clutch is engaged and when it's not.
post #6 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 12:48 PM
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can check the Cat by hitting it with a dead blow hammer and listen for any rattles.
Some more questions...
Only happens after driving for a time or when rig is warmed up and only when rolling, so....
Does the noise change at all when braking?, change with RPM?, change when drivtrain is under load, coasting?
You have already ruled out the transfer case and u-joints. I'm not in any way saying your Cat is at fault, just throwing out suggestions to rule out. Your Cat is right alongside the tranny/transfer case BTW. Just check for anything that could come in contact with the rear driveline while you are under your rig.
post #7 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by idaholtby View Post
You can check the Cat by hitting it with a dead blow hammer and listen for any rattles.
Some more questions...
Only happens after driving for a time or when rig is warmed up and only when rolling, so....
Does the noise change at all when braking?, change with RPM?, change when drivtrain is under load, coasting?
You have already ruled out the transfer case and u-joints. I'm not in any way saying your Cat is at fault, just throwing out suggestions to rule out. Your Cat is right alongside the tranny/transfer case BTW. Just check for anything that could come in contact with the rear driveline while you are under your rig.
The noise does seam to quiet down with less rpm. When it is underload the noise is gone. I can coast in gear and the noise is gone. But if I push the clutch in or shift to neutral the noise comes back.

I won't be able to check if it's the cat until later today but that shouldn't be bad. The guy I bought my jeep from had just installed a new exhaust system. I'll check anyway it's not hard.
post #8 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

When I got home from work I started pounding on the cat with a dead blow. It rattled a little bit i think. What should a functioning cat sound like when hit with a dead blow? The noise increases with speed not rpms. Help me, this is so annoying
post #9 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 06:04 PM
K4KAS
1994 YJ Wrangler 

you said the 231 was out of an 03, thats pretty new. But what you are describing sounds like the chain in the transfer case.
post #10 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 06:36 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I had a noise like that from a bad transmission mount, sounded like something was dragging on the ground, but when turning a corner, it would hit the exhaust pipe
post #11 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by K4KAS View Post
you said the 231 was out of an 03, thats pretty new. But what you are describing sounds like the chain in the transfer case.
I thought it was the tc also. Thats why i got a new one. The new tc got rid of one of the gremlin noises. I have the front drive shaft off so I know thats not the issue. Any other ideas? how about the pilot bearing?
post #12 of 26 Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 PM
idaholtby
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90islander View Post
The noise does seam to quiet down with less rpm. When it is underload the noise is gone. I can coast in gear and the noise is gone. But if I push the clutch in or shift to neutral the noise comes back.

I won't be able to check if it's the cat until later today but that shouldn't be bad. The guy I bought my jeep from had just installed a new exhaust system. I'll check anyway it's not hard.

If it is the pilot bearing, I would expect it to be making noise only when the clutch pedal is pushed in and the clutch is disengaged. But with the clutch pedal out, and the clutch engaged allowing the input shaft to rotated at the same speed as the crankshaft, then if the pilot bearing was at fault, it should be silent at this point.
So I guess I am confused by your statement that the noise seems to lessen with RPM. Does this mean that the clutch at that time is engaged (clutch pedal released)? If so, then the input shaft to the tranny should be rotating at the same speed as the crank shaft on the engine which should in effect rule out the pilot bearing. The pilot bearing comes into play (rotates) when the input shaft to the transmission is still, and the crank shaft on the engine is rotating when the clutch pedal is depressed and the clutch is not engaged.
post #13 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
90islander
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The noise does not lessen with rpms. I don't think it has anything to do with rpms. If I were to start at the top of a hill with my jeep in neutral or with the clutch engaged from a dead stop or slow roll. As I gradually pick up speed the noise would become louder as speed increases. When I get to the bottom of the hill the noise would get quieter as the jeep slowly comes to a stop.
post #14 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 04:05 PM
Barrio
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Could be the timing chain or lifters rattling, thats common.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-OD Green/Flat Black 92' 4" Rough Country Lift, tons of crap.
-Rio Red 1995 Ford Mustang- Daily Driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfmoney
i see theres a bunch of toughguys on this forum or internet gangstas
post #15 of 26 Old 11-27-2008, 04:15 PM
Prouzy

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I just had a really similar sound coming from where the egr tube connects to the cat, turns out it was cracked and would cause a tinny rattling sound when shifting and/or in nuetral while driving. It eventually cracked/broke all the way off and the exhaust was loud as hell, but after i got it welded back together the rattling sound stopped.

Live Free or Die
RJC #449

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.