centrifugal advance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > centrifugal advance

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

centrifugal advance

So I've determined the reason my 89 yj 258 tends to bog down under throttle...not enough advance from the distributor. Still a stock dizzy, gonna replace with a reman for a pre smog vehicle. The dizzy itself I can find at a local parts store but the cap, rotors and adapter must be ordered. Does anyone know if my stock cap work with the reman. dizzy until the new parts arrive?

It is already nuttered with an MC 2150

csrcn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:50 PM   #2
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Don't replace it with the stock cap. Replace it with better Ford parts.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/i-...nitive-669495/

The stock parts will work though.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #3
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yea, like I said just temporarily until I can get the other parts
Unread 09-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #4
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone else experience this problem? Just curious to see if this is a common problem with this carburetor mod.
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:36 PM   #5
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can reuse what you have on your old dizzy.
Yes I found that a pre smog dizzy made a lot of difference.
I am shocked that none of your local parts houses have the cap/adaptor/rotor on hand.

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:28 PM   #6
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker
You can reuse what you have on your old dizzy.
Yes I found that a pre smog dizzy made a lot of difference.
I am shocked that none of your local parts houses have the cap/adaptor/rotor on hand.

Dwayne
No one has it. I thought the same thing. 2 to 3 days shipping. Checked auto zone, advance auto, napa, pep boys. Not the right time to buy parts for an old Ford truck
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:27 AM   #7
wanabejeeper
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Anyone have the part number for this distrib?

[QUOTE=Anticanman;14767780]It goes in that barrel you wheel out to the street once a week.[/QUOTE]

My build thread [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/new-build-thread-867043/[/url]
wanabejeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanabejeeper View Post
Anyone have the part number for this distrib?
Part No. 30-4691 at advance auto, same for auto zone
Unread 09-13-2011, 01:45 PM   #9
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

SO, after installing the new dizzy, she runs better but still has a case of the hiccups here and there. Tuned accel pump to every setting possible, gives a big shot of smoke during deceleration. Any ideas?
Unread 09-13-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
4.7stroker
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Is your vac source for the vac advance ported or manifold? I prefer manifold, this will involve a little retune on the idle mixture screws and resetting the curb idle.
Did you set your idle mixture screws with a vac gauge or by ear? What is your timing set at?

Dwayne
4.7stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 05:38 PM   #11
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.7stroker View Post
Is your vac source for the vac advance ported or manifold? I prefer manifold, this will involve a little retune on the idle mixture screws and resetting the curb idle.
Did you set your idle mixture screws with a vac gauge or by ear? What is your timing set at?

Dwayne
Idle mix set with a vac gauge, i've set initial timing @ 8*BTDC, have tried advancing a few more degrees and retarding a few and no change. I have an inline fuel filter installed before the stock one so i know i'm getting fuel. The return fuel line is still in use also. Spent plenty of time checking for vac leaks, none found and it holds steady vacuum at about 21".
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:49 PM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

How many degrees of slack in your timing chain? What is the CFM flow rate on your air filter? Have you tried tuning the vacuum advance module (use an 1/8 inch allen wrench through the vac nipple).
Unread 09-13-2011, 09:14 PM   #13
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
How many degrees of slack in your timing chain? What is the CFM flow rate on your air filter? Have you tried tuning the vacuum advance module (use an 1/8 inch allen wrench through the vac nipple).
I'll give that a shot tomorrow. Thanks
Unread 09-14-2011, 05:23 AM   #14
1989 YJ Wrangler 

HI,
I'm confused. When you say bogging down what exactly do you mean? I suspect you don't understand how the advance system works.

At idle, the advance is a certain value. This is determined by the initial advance value plus the applied vacuum. As RPM is slowly increased, the advance will increase due to centrifugal advance up to some certain maximum value. However, if, at a certain steady RPM, say 2000, and you then stab the gas, the vacuum advance RETARDS the timing to prevent pinging. Then as the situation stabilizes the advance returns to whatever value is appropriate for the engine RPM. This will NOT be the same as the Idle value.

I don't see your problem as being helped by increasing the advance. You should use a timing light and adjust initial advance with the distributor without the vacuum connected. Be sure to plug the vacuum line. Then attach the vacuum line to the distributor. Then stab the gas and you should see the timing retard momentarily then advance to a new value. If you increase the gas slowly, you see the timing advance with RPM as determined mostly by the centrifugal advance weights.

Sparky
Karma is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2011, 06:45 AM   #15
csrcn2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I agree, I think its possibly to much advance for the large size tires im running. The engine can't handle the load. I'll make the appropriate adjustments and get back to ya

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.