Centering and aligning your 8.8 on install. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Centering and aligning your 8.8 on install.

Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #1
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Centering and aligning your 8.8 on install.

Ok so for those that follow, I've got my YJ down to the frame at the moment. I'm ready to sling the 8.8 under it today after work, just one question: how are you all centering this axle? Just wing it with a tape measure? I want it to not only be laterally square but I'd like there not to be any angles at play here. I don't want there to be any angles causing the Jeep to "dog leg" down the highway. I've got my 8.8 kit from ruff stuff with their SUA perches. I'm thinking put it all together with nuts and bolts and get it as square as possible, then tack weld the perches and pull it out to burn them in all the way?
One idea I had was to paint temporary square lines on the floor and use plumbobs off the frame and axle to get it 100% square.

Help guys! I want this to be a rolling frame again! Haha.

Unread 06-03-2013, 09:23 AM   #2
bogleparsons
2013 JK Wrangler 

I used a tape measure yup.

get the axle under the jeep, and measure from the outside of the perch to the hub.

When both are the same you are centered

I assume you are setting pinion angle at the same time, so you want the weight of the jeep on the axle.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:35 AM   #3
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Well....... That's kind of an issue as well. I was just going take a stab at the pinion angle and hope it works out. I'm still putting together the Ford 302, T-18, NP231 SYE driveline and was hoping I could wing it. The tub is off the frame at the moment, and there is no motor trans or tcase in place either. Basically it's a naked frame, but it needs to be a rolling frame again to move around the garage. Should I wait to weld it all together and just leave it bolted together after I get it in there? I don't want to jack up my whole project but after I weld the peaches it's my take that you can't readjust pinion angle easily.
Unread 06-03-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

you can leave the perches unwelded, or just tacked until you get the rest ready. Getting a good pinion angle by math is probably not going to be ideal. The should not be any issues with being square. The perces are self centering and the centering pin on the springs will line that up. The only issues are left/right and the pinion angle.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-03-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
warthog312
The Craigslist Crawler

1994 YJ Wrangler 

cool. thanks for the help guys.
Unread 06-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #6
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bogleparsons View Post
I used a tape measure yup.

get the axle under the jeep, and measure from the outside of the perch to the hub.

When both are the same you are centered

I assume you are setting pinion angle at the same time, so you want the weight of the jeep on the axle.
+1 and for the shock mounts I got the measurement between them off the D35 and centered them on the tubes.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.