center console - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > center console

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-16-2002, 11:29 AM   #1
rodgersmc

center console

I have a stock stick and center console, and I knock the console whenever shifting into any of the bottom three gears (2, 4, reverse). I'm thinking about switching it out, but I want to make sure I pick a console that won't give me the same problem... preferably with cup holders up front instead of back, and one that you can lift w/out lifting the drinks (what was chrystler/jeep thinking?)

what do you guys have?

32" tires on 15X10's
winch
soon to be JKB2 mod
rodgersmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-16-2002, 11:50 AM   #2
grantnps

Oklahoma huh? Go to www.quadratec.com...that's where I got mine. Doens't hit gears on mine, and it has cup holders on front and back!
Unread 02-16-2002, 01:09 PM   #3
MusicMaverick
2014 JK Wrangler 

First, can u reposition your console back more? If not, I got a Steelhorse Ultra Locking Console, those are awesome. 4 cupholders, the ones in the back will lift but the front ones wont. Has sunglass holder, coin holder, locking compartment, cooler, CD holder, padded and matches the interior well. I think it looks better than the OEM consoles. It does say on the instructions be sure to position it so your shifter doesnt hit it. Mine is great. The only problem I have is when I lift the pass. seat, the pass seat belt receiver gets caught when I put it back down and I have to fish it back threw because it is a tight squeeze between the seats and console. Still nice tho.

Past vehicles: '92 YJ, '97 TJ, '10 JK
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-17-2002, 07:31 PM   #4
renegade0351

rodg,

problem is the 3' body lift, i have the same problem so i just took mine out, {you can heat up your shifter and bend it forward a bit and you shouldnt have any problems, just dont bend it to far forward} planned on replacing mine with tuffy but havent yet, let me know what you go with and how things go.
89 sahara, 4.2 , k551 weber, nutter bypass, tuffy stereo security console & under seat security drawer, 4'pro comp & 3'body, front waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, rear waggy44 w/detroit & 4.88, teralow sye, tw's cv drive shaft {rear}, warn locking hubs, boomerrangs all around, 35x15.50 tsl-sx swampers { love that roar}.
renegade0351 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2002, 06:45 AM   #5
jeepinarkansas
1982 CJ8 

All I hve to say is TUFFY, TUFFY, TUFFY. I just installed my tuffy locking stereo center console. It moved my stereo to the center console, which is cool. The cup holders up front are big enough that they will evn hold a drive thru burger joint cup. I used to have the steel horse console, but the top was easily pryed back and the cup holders would spill a childs sip cup. So my vote is to sped that extra cash on the tuffy console.
Jake

95 YJ
31 BF Goodrich ALL Terrain
Custom Bumpers
Herculiner
Hella Fog Lights and Lift on order
jeepinarkansas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2002, 08:06 AM   #6
Mike611

I went with the Steel-Horse locking console. It has plenty of room, and then some. You don't quite get the security as you would with the tuffy, but, if someone wants into your Jeep bad enough, they will get there. Steel-Horse would be my best bet, only $70 compared to the Tuffy alternative, $200-$250....

95 2.5L, bumeprs and hilift, soon to be locked and lifted...
95, 2.5L, custom bumpers, Flow's, 4 inch Skyjacker Super Duty, 33x12.50 MT's, 15X10 AR 767's, Hi-lift, Funk in the Trunk( two 12 inch subs ), soon to be locked and have one of those pully things on the front.

If you are going to be a bear, be a grizzly...
Mike611 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-18-2002, 09:18 AM   #7
Kev
Master of the Obvious

I'm with Jeepinarkanas, spend the extra now and get the Tuffy; everytime I've been cheap and got the lowend stuff I regretted it and ended up spending the money later anyway. Go for Tuffy, I love mine.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2002, 09:44 AM   #8
LNDSRK

Stay away from the Steel Horse locking center console. I hade one installed and the little punks in the area just pried it right open and took my GPS. On the flip side, they were not able to get into my Tuffy lockboxes on my wheel wells or the Add-A-Trunk. Needless to say stick with Tuffy if you want security.

[url=http://www.novajeepers.com]Northern Virginia Jeepers Association[/url]
LNDSRK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2002, 11:37 AM   #9
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

I have a Bestop Trailmax Pro console. In my 91 Wrangler the factory console had the cup holders up front not in back and you could open it up without interfering with the drinks. Seems to me that its not a factory console.
RCHavok797 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2002, 05:46 PM   #10
ryan14

hey rc i am wonting to get the trailmax pro also, have you had any problems with people trying 2 break into it or anything, is it pry proof, it looks real good in the magaiznes and its not very much $$$. thanks
ryan14 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2002, 08:03 PM   #11
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

It's not pry proof but its a lot more pry proof than the factory console, and I do mean a lot. The only complaint I have is that it fits snuggly between the seats. When you move the passenger seat forward to get in the rear and then move it back the seat belt gets caught. You have to force it back into place. Besides from that little nuisance, its a great console and I'm very happy with it.
Unread 03-02-2002, 08:06 PM   #12
RCHavok797
2005 LJ Wrangler 

No, I haven't had any problems with people trying to break into it. Good thing because I keep the face to my stereo in there.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.