CCV valve, fitting & hose - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CCV valve, fitting & hose

The ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-03-2005, 05:18 PM   #1
BaltimoreJeep

CCV valve, fitting & hose

I want to check my CCV valve ('94, 2.5L YJ). Do I need to remove the rocker arm/valve cover to take it out? If I need to replace it, can I easily find it at a place other than the stealer, I mean dealer? I know that I've seen them at the store, but I'm not sure if I should expect them to have one for my YJ.

Secondly, I heard a "wistling" noise today. I thought it might have been my belt. But when I looked under the hood, it was the broken plastic "elbow" that connects the CCV valve to the hose (the vacuum hose) that goes to the intake manifold. That plastic piece definitely needs to be replaced. Any idea if I can get this piece and replace it pretty easily? Or is that a trip to the dealer?

Thanks in advance for you help, guys.

Unread 01-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #2
Loopmd

You can go to any parts store and try to "build your own" with the vacuum system parts and connectors they have. If you want the exact part, you will have to go to the dealer. hth
[COLOR=DarkRed]Redneck Jeep Club Member #30[/COLOR]

'92 stock YJ
4.0 L
Loopmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2005, 07:23 PM   #3
BaltimoreJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopmd
You can go to any parts store and try to "build your own" with the vacuum system parts and connectors they have. If you want the exact part, you will have to go to the dealer. hth
Can you tell me if the CCV valve is easily removed without removing the valve cover?
Unread 01-03-2005, 09:37 PM   #4
Loopmd

From what I understand, your rig does not have a ccv "valve". CCV stands for Closed Crankcase Ventilation and the system consists of those grommets and tubes coming off your valve cover and one goes to your airbox and the other goes to the manifold. I had a few questions on the whole system awhile back and you can read it here. Hope this helps.

'92 stock YJ
4.0 L
Unread 01-03-2005, 11:52 PM   #5
BaltimoreJeep

OK, I think I got it. So, CCV system is like a PCV system in that they are both vacuum systems. However, the CCV does not have a valve or filter (like the PCV system has and that may need to be replaced every so often) but just fittings and hoses (which too can become clogged causing blow-by which eveyone and their mother gets resulting in oil in the air filter). Does this sound right?

So, it looks like all I need to do is replace the right angle plastic piece that connects the vacuum hose to the CCV fitting and make sure is that everything is nice and clear.
Unread 01-04-2005, 03:59 AM   #6
CosmicCreeper
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Happen to have my Chilton manual right here, and the 91 - 95 wrangler have them. They are less complicated than a PCV valve, because of fewer parts. According to the book, all you need to do are check the lines and make sure they are good, unless the CCV fixed orafice is clogged or gumed up with oil. Grab a Chilton they have more details on it.
USN Jeep Club Hull #1
CosmicCreeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #7
Loopmd

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaltimoreJeep
OK, I think I got it. So, CCV system is like a PCV system in that they are both vacuum systems. However, the CCV does not have a valve or filter (like the PCV system has and that may need to be replaced every so often) but just fittings and hoses (which too can become clogged causing blow-by which eveyone and their mother gets resulting in oil in the air filter). Does this sound right?

So, it looks like all I need to do is replace the right angle plastic piece that connects the vacuum hose to the CCV fitting and make sure is that everything is nice and clear.

You got it!

I had problems with oil in my air filter as you can see from my previous thread. I went to the local autoparts store and tried to get the hoses and connections I needed. I could not do the whole thing, so I ditched that idea(it would have worked and been cheaper, but they did not have everything I needed) and went to the dealer. I think I spent 15 bucks at the dealer to get exactly what I needed. Did this over a month ago and it fixed my messy air filter problem.

'92 stock YJ
4.0 L
Unread 01-04-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
US1

Just need a 1/4" ID vacuum hose from your local auto store.
US1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-06-2005, 01:30 PM   #9
BaltimoreJeep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loopmd
You got it!

I had problems with oil in my air filter as you can see from my previous thread. I went to the local autoparts store and tried to get the hoses and connections I needed. I could not do the whole thing, so I ditched that idea(it would have worked and been cheaper, but they did not have everything I needed) and went to the dealer. I think I spent 15 bucks at the dealer to get exactly what I needed. Did this over a month ago and it fixed my messy air filter problem.
After going to every store without being able to find the one plastic piece I needed to replace, I called the dealer. I'm getting the whole thing for $17. So, I'll replace the whole vacuum line I guess.
Unread 01-06-2005, 05:40 PM   #10
Loopmd

Glad to hear I'm not the only one that could not get all the parts! It sucks to have to break down and go to the dealer, even though it is only 17 bucks. It's just the thought of going there. You probably wasted that much in gas going around to every store to try to fix the problem for cheap. Hope it solves your problem.

'92 stock YJ
4.0 L

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.