ccv system woes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > ccv system woes

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Hey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerraiThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-10-2015, 05:34 PM   #1
216yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

ccv system woes

This is probably stupid but..

Ok hoping someone can chime in here and shed some light... Maybe..

'93 2.5L stock / manual. With 150,xxx miles

Jeep runs great but.. had a bad blow by problem.. Oil coming from dipstick and from valve cover (oil filler cap) .

Oil in airbox too.

Ccv system appeared correct and unclogged.

My problem seemed to be the metered orifice couldn't keep up with the blow by.

So.. I swapped the fresh air inlet with the ccv. (now the elbow at the rear of the valve cover feeds to the intake manifold).

This seemed to have mysteriously cured my problems... Even my high oil pressure (70psi) reads right in the middle (40) at cruising speeds and slightly lower at idle.

But.... Now I noticed I can hear a hiss at my oil dipstick (it's sucking air in instead of smoking)

I have looked and looked and I'm almost 100% sure I currently have it hooked up backwards but everything seems to be working better now. Even quit dripping oil in my driveway.

Does anyone know if running the current configuration will speed up the demise of my beloved 4 squirrels.?

216yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 05:59 PM   #2
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Hey 216yj, what part of cleveland you are you in?

It is the front side port on the 2.5L that is the metered orifice. Could you hook a vaccum gauge up to the engine and see what kind of pressure it is making? They are free to borrow from autozone if you leave a deposit.

I'd do the vacuum test in both configurations.

you could also consider switching to a small filter for the ccv vent instead of running it through the stock air box. That'll at least separate the oil contamination. Once you get the CCV system working, it shouldn't be a problem anymore though.
mike134 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-10-2015, 06:13 PM   #3
216yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I'm on the west side Gordon Square /Detroit shoreway area.

With my previous setup it blew a small amount of air out of the metered.
With my current setup is sucks air into the metered orifice.
(the one at the front of the valve cover)

I will get a vacuum gauge and post #'s but can't do that until tomorrow.

Sorry by airbox I meant the po tossed out the upper airbox cover put in a cone filter and aluminum pipe.. Then had a baby cone filter on the fresh air inlet hose. And it was laying in the open box. That baby cone was spitting oil into the open box.
Unread 04-10-2015, 06:38 PM   #4
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I see. So the PO may have put that on to hide these blow back symptoms. How long have you had this problem?
Unread 04-10-2015, 07:09 PM   #5
216yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I see. So the PO may have put that on to hide these blow back symptoms. How long have you had this problem?
Since I bought it.. But it also came with a loose valve cover (that's where the po claimed the oil came from) I was dumb and believed him because he claimed the engine was recently rebuilt at 100k.. And a spitting oil sending unit. Which I replaced
Unread 04-10-2015, 07:36 PM   #6
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you don't find a vacuum leak, you may consider just pulling the valve cover off and cleaning it out. I'd try jamming a pipe cleaner thorugh the orifice from both directions to make sure it is clear.

There's no telling what previous owners have done to the vehicle...
Unread 04-10-2015, 08:09 PM   #7
216yj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike134 View Post
I see. So the PO may have put that on to hide these blow back symptoms.
i would not be surprised at all

lol my neighbor came over to look at it when I bought it and noticed one of the bolts to the alternator was loose.. (it was spinning while the engine was running) turned off the engine and there was NO nut on the backside and I pulled it and it slipped it right out.. that thing could have wobbled out hit the fan and freaking turned into a bullet when we were looking under the hood. ~true story

I already pulled and cleaned it.. pulled the metered (brass fitting) today and made sure is was clean.. also the inlet on the manifold side is good.

The small diameter of the orifice (fitting) seems to be the bottleneck in removing the excess pressure/vapor.

Could I just get or make a new fitting... or even retapp the valve cover for a fitting with a larger inside diameter?
I think this is just band-aiding I have a bad feeling this motor is toast.. just drive it until it blows?? i dunno its not my dd its more of a hobby.. but i want it to be driven without too much worry. Never blew an engine before so i dont know what to expect and pretty sure i dont want it to happen on the freeway
Unread 04-10-2015, 11:13 PM   #8
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

you might consider picking up the compression test kit while you're at autozone borrowing the vacuum gauge. It is also free. The vacuum gauge can generally tell you if a cylinder compression is bad, but the compression gauge can give you more info on how bad.

This will make sure the engine is worth saving.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.