CCV (PCV) blow by - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CCV (PCV) blow by

New jk doors from steinjagerOconee Off-Road Free Shipping Lifts Tires Bumpers Tops andWarn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCOR

Unread 02-13-2008, 12:31 PM   #1
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

CCV (PCV) blow by

I did several searches but I have not found one that helps me yet. So if this subject has been discused before please give me a link to the thread.

Ok, I have a 92 YJ 4.0 L and for the last couple of years it has had major blow by going in to the air filter area. I have 160K miles and the engine seems to run fine. I donít burn much oil (no puff of smoke on startup or between shifts) I have replaced the CCV (pcv type valve) 2 or 3 times in the past, clean out the inside of the valve cover (thought it might have been clogged), replaced rubber hoses and nothing seems to help. I still have a watery -milky - oily blow by that makes a mess of my intake and fills the hoses up. I have changed to a Turbo city air tube and K&N filter so my filter is dry but intake is not.

I also think the charcoal canister has filled up with this blow by.

I used to drive short trips to work (onlu 5 miles each way) which was not allowing the engine to warm up to burn off any moisture in the oil/engine. This might have been the root of the cause. BUT I switched jobs and the engine is always at max operating temp before I shut off the engine and I still have the problem.

Any ideas on what I can do to fix my problem. Any help would be appreciated.

Lovemyyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2008, 12:39 PM   #2
bigh20rnr
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Would start looking for any vacuum leaks at all in the system here's a writeup on the older 4.2L not sure if any of it applies to your vehicle but it gives you a start. Other people have talked about blowby from the pistons but I have never experienced it myself, would start with the smaller stuff first. Good luckhttp://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vac-pcv.htm

Rick
Unread 02-13-2008, 01:14 PM   #3
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks, I saw that tread. I dont think it will help me. I dont think I had any leaks - if I did it would spit out the water oil so I would see it. I wonder if I had some sort of cracked head but my antifreeze always says the same level. I just cannot figure this one out. Its like this stuff is in my engine and it has to get out. I have flushed the engine out two different times and it seems to build up this sludge inside the engine now. I could understand it if I didnt change the oil but this is crazy.
Unread 02-13-2008, 08:58 PM   #4
MrLude1
1995 YJ Wrangler 

This happened to me twice now. Both times were from over-filling the oil...Basically, I was under it doing some work & noticed some oil around the oil pan. Mind you this was a month or so after I did an oil change. So I added a 1/2 qt of oil. Next day, had the same oily mess in the intake as you did. But, it was clean oil. You've got yourself a milky mix mess. Possibly, a headgasket leak...only because it sounds like you've got some coolant mixed into your oil blow-by.

Sidenote, I replaced that hose from the PCV to the intake w/a breather filter...now I just gotta clean that little sucker if it gets oily & not my custom intake tube & throttle body.
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:00 PM   #5
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLude1 View Post
You've got yourself a milky mix mess. Possibly, a headgasket leak...only because it sounds like you've got some coolant mixed into your oil blow-by.
Thanks for the reply. I thought of the headgasket but wouldnt my antifreeze go down as time goes on? It has not moved at all since the last flush two years ago.

Maybe it was not so milky. It is very watered down oil with very little odor if you touch it and smell your fingers.

I think I have multiple problems - CCV valve, old hoses, leaky oil cap, engine sludge that may have clogged the air ways under the valve cover (which I cleaned out a couple of years ago when I replaced the CCV). I also have Turbo city intake which might contribute to poor vacuum?

I been researching the net and found several links that may help me. I will also do a compression test to check and make sure itís not contributing to my problem as well. I will post my results when I solve this problem.

Would a different air intake help me at all?

Any other ideas out there?
Unread 02-13-2008, 10:50 PM   #6
djcondo
1989 YJ Wrangler 

yeah i would go with the compression test. also you might want to try to use lucus oil aditive, it might prevent what sounds like thermal breakdown. also if you have the resources, might want to consider rebuild or hone and replace the rings. just my thoughts
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I really donít want to rebuild the engine (or even a ring job). I think all of the sludge is from excessive moisture in the engine. If the rings wear warn that bad i think I would burn more oil (right now only a quarter to half a quart every 3000 miles) and I would see and smell burnt oil out the exhaust pipe. No puffs of smoke at all.

I think itís a combination of several things that have compounded over time. I will have to systematically replace everything that can be involved and flush the engine out.
Unread 02-14-2008, 12:34 PM   #8
BlackRhino
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I have a similar problem, I get oil blown out of the PCV into my air intake. It's pure (well, dirty) oil from the engine with no water in it though. I'm pretty sure it's some sort of compression leak, although it doesn't burn any oil.
Unread 02-15-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
NJeepyj91
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The CCV is to eliminate condensation and gases. You stated you drove lots of short trips. I think it is very possible the sludge is a result of the failure of the engine to warm up and burn off the condensation through the CCV system.
How often do you change your oil? By your description, you are driving what the factory would describe as extreme service condition drving, (Lots of very short trips).
Get a combustion gas test to rule out a cracked head or head gasket then proceed with your ideas.

91 4.0 stick. Posi Lok, Borla, 31s on steelies, Dem Bonz Shackles and lots of other junk on my junk.
NJeepyj91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2008, 07:23 AM   #10
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJeepyj91 View Post
The CCV is to eliminate condensation and gases. You stated you drove lots of short trips. I think it is very possible the sludge is a result of the failure of the engine to warm up and burn off the condensation through the CCV system.
How often do you change your oil? By your description, you are driving what the factory would describe as extreme service condition drving, (Lots of very short trips).
Get a combustion gas test to rule out a cracked head or head gasket then proceed with your ideas.
Thanks for the input. I use to drive short trips but now I donít. I change the oil every 3000 to 3500 miles. I talked to two Jeep dealers on Friday and the both said that it is a common problem on older YJ's and part of the problem is the hoses connecting to the CCV valve - they tend to collapse under pressure making the problem even worse. I asked if they thought it would be a good Idea if I cleaned the ccv valve at every oil change and they said it would be a good idea. I think I will also use my air compressor and blow out the lines and inside the valve cover to make sure the passageways are clear.

I plan on using an engine cleaner two times in a row and start changing the oil at 2500 for a while to see if it will clean out the engine and prevent this problem from happening.

Both dealers did not think it was a compression problem since the jeep runs fine and no excessive oil is being burned and no visible puffs of smoke. I am also replacing the rear main and I will clean out the oil pan incase itís full of sludge (plus I will remove the valve cover to check/clean for sludge).

The hole in the CCV valve is very small so I wonder if I drilled it slightly larger if I would help me in the long run. I have replaced this valve 3 times in the last 5 or 6 years due to the same probem.

I also wonder if changing to a synthetic oil would keep the engine cleaner?
Unread 02-16-2008, 02:54 PM   #11
Lovemyyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Problem solved

PROBLEM SOLVED! (I hope)

I took out the pcv/ccv valve today since I had a free afternoon and it was clean! I was like - wtf. So I followed the other end of the hose which connects to the intake manifold and I removed the hose - but it was fine - good air flow. I took the fitting that connects the hose to the intake off and it was 100% blocked with black carbon type stuff. I took an old drill bit and by hand I twisted back and forth. This carbon was hard packed and almost a half inch thick so it took 10 -15 min. After I cleaned the hole out good I soaked in parts cleaner and reinstalled. This should cure my problem but really only time will tell. I have all of the hoses on order at Jeep so I will replace all of those next week as well. I will give you an update in a few weeks.
Unread 04-13-2008, 05:29 AM   #12
YJames90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I am getting great suction from the pcv and still have an oily mess. You said you were getting good suction but it was still clogged?
when I removed the pcv and ccv i could see sludge under the valve cover and scrape it out with a flat screw driver .I think its time to remove the valve cover and clean it out

My 2.5 to 4.3 swap thread
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/4...begun-1237704/
YJames90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 02:36 PM   #13
jmatteucci

blow by

You definately have blow by from the piston rings. It is exhaust gas that escapes past the rings blowing oil along with it. Your oil is milky because the water vapor along with the gas created from combustion are both goin past the rings. The water same that you see going out of your tailpipe. The reason that you arent blowing oil out of the exhaust is because only your compression rings are worn, your oil rings are fine. You can tell for sure by doing a compression test, the do the compression test again after dumping a small amount of oil into the spark plug hole, if the compression increases by a lot. then you need rings. I have the same problem, put 20w50 oil in it, it willl help it somewhat.
jmatteucci is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 02:25 PM   #14
Djsthe1
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyyj View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED! (I hope)

I took out the pcv/ccv valve today since I had a free afternoon and it was clean! I was like - wtf. So I followed the other end of the hose which connects to the intake manifold and I removed the hose - but it was fine - good air flow. I took the fitting that connects the hose to the intake off and it was 100% blocked with black carbon type stuff. I took an old drill bit and by hand I twisted back and forth. This carbon was hard packed and almost a half inch thick so it took 10 -15 min. After I cleaned the hole out good I soaked in parts cleaner and reinstalled. This should cure my problem but really only time will tell. I have all of the hoses on order at Jeep so I will replace all of those next week as well. I will give you an update in a few weeks.
Did this solve your problem? I have blow by bad..
Djsthe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:35 PM   #15
jeepwillikers
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovemyyj View Post
PROBLEM SOLVED! (I hope)

My 2.5L has the same symptoms you described. I checked for a head gasket leak first and all looked good. I just cleaned out my valve cover and PVC valve today but I didn't think to check the other end. I will be doing this as soon as I get a chance. Thanks for the tip! also, I'm going to be watching to see if this solved your problem.
jeepwillikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.