CB help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > CB help

Save 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-03-2010, 06:12 AM   #1
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

CB help

ok so i bought a cb off of ebay last night, so now my question is what is a good length of antenna? i wanna mount it ontop of my tail light i think or maybe the rear door but i doubt it... also when you buy the antenna do you need to buy cable to go with it? or do they come with some? ive been lookin at the firestik brand and they look pretty good

markr1001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:21 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Get a 4' fire stick. And yes you need to buy cable for most.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 06:27 AM   #3
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

awesome! thanx
Unread 04-03-2010, 07:43 AM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Oh and don't fall for the "you need 18' of coax" myth. That has been busted time and time again. Get what you need to run a clean run with out tight corners or loops and then put the ends on. It is not hard to do.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
larry408
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I mounted my cb on top of the overhead gunrack in my YJ. I used a 12 foot cable and ran it up the roll bar tube. I mounted the antenna above the left taillight and ran the cable through a hole in the body with a rubber grommet in it.
p3200003.jpg  
1998 ZJ
1991 YJ
1973 Dodge Dart Sport
1980 Honda CB900c
larry408 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:17 AM   #6
Neo1130
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Oh and don't fall for the "you need 18' of coax" myth. That has been busted time and time again. Get what you need to run a clean run with out tight corners or loops and then put the ends on. It is not hard to do.
Depends on the ground plane being used. If you get a zero ground plane antenna, you must NOT mess with the length of the cable, PERIOD. I know this because I listed to someone that said the same thing you did and ended up not being able to get a signal in or out and my SWR was WAY off. A new fixed it all. However, if using the body as a ground plane, I will agree with the 18 foot thing being hype.
Neo1130 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 09:29 AM   #7
Stryker777

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Yep, firestiks are great. Now for the 18' "myth". Electronic length is not a myth. 18 ft physical length is not electronic length. If you have full wave electronic length on your coax, your swrs will be easier to control. CBs are not as big of a deal as some radios because of the lower power and more importantly, frequency range. Still, coax electronic length makes a difference and if you co-phase, electronic length is most important. Otherwise your transmit patter will be all screwed up. I've worked on many AM arrays and length is not a myth, just the way most people relate it.

In GOD we trust. It's a Jesus thing.
Stryker777 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
notmyj
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have a Cobra 29 st wx.
Here is how I mounted my antenna and such....

I used this antenna mount...

from GI JOES CB RADIO - Mirror Mount w/stud - Cb Radios

I used this wire
Link to it.... GI Joe's Radio Electronics - Cb Radio Coax Cable

And this Antenna....
GI JOE'S - Cb Antenna - K40 Super Flex Cb Radio Antenna

A little more explaination...... I used the K40 super flex, 4ft, black. (See link above, I ordered all my stuff from them and have nothing but good things to say.)

The mount is a mirror mount that I made work on my jeep. If you dont mind drilling a few holes. The wire has a removeable pl259 plug on one end so it is easy to fish through holes etc. I got a grommet package from radio shack will fit it perfectly. My wire was 12ft, and it just fit from the mount to the radio under dash. It works perfect for an overhead console though.

The K40 Super Flex, is the abolute best for an offroad vehicle. They flex and bend like crazy and will not break. THey are not as rigid as the fire sticks I used to own. I went through a couple of them. THe K40 gets my vote every time. ETA: the only thing I have changed is a spring mount for the antenna.

Here are some pics of how I mounted my stuff.

The whole thing mounted up...

Up close, you can see how I used the mirror mount, and how small the hole needed to be for the cable I mentioned above...

What the mount looks like from the inside....

A simple demonstration of the K4o Superflex.....

My BUDGET York OBA Install
Budget Welding Cart
Carling Contura Switch Panel

If it has tracks, tires or tits, its gonna cause a problem.

"Everytime someone "upgrades" a D35, an angel looses its wings."

"Dizzy" - What SnoopDog would call a Distributor if he was a mechanic. I cringe every time I hear this moronic term

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
Send lawyers, guns and money. The **** has hit the fan...
92, 4.0, AW4, 8.8, D30, 15x10, 37's, SOA etc, etc
92, 2.5, 30, 8.8, 4.88, Locked, Winch, 15x8, 35's, 3.5" (RIP)
notmyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM   #9
markr1001
1987 YJ Wrangler 

nice ok i bought an antenna off ebay today, it has a mirror mount and i figure i can make it work. it comes with 9' of coaxle cable... how much do people usually use to run that span? is it just regular coaxle cable that you use? if so i wav some of it i can cut up and put some ends on...
Unread 04-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #10
RdNekGABoy87

Right Channel Radios has a pretty good guide for installing your CB, mounting your antenna, tuning, and quite a few other commonly asked questions regarding CBs. I used their guide to install my first CB and i have had no trouble with it at all.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.