caulk cowl seal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > caulk cowl seal?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-27-2013, 03:46 PM   #1
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

caulk cowl seal?

Can I silicon caulk the cowl gasket seal while it is in place?
Just pry it away from the windshield and shoot silicon in there and let the flap sping back?
Mine is leaking pretty bad.

chuck172 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
Berniebikes
1988 YJ Wrangler 

don't do it. The part is cheap enough worst part about changing is getting your windshield down. Go ahead and take the old one out, clean everything up real well and replace it. You'll be glad you did in the long run
Berniebikes is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
jcmooreusmc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

^Agreed. I think it's around 20-25 bucks for a new one. Relatively easy to change so long as the torx bolts on the rollbar comply.
jcmooreusmc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I did change it last summer. Leaking like a sieve now, and I can't figure out why. I never will flip down the windshield, why shouldn't I just caulk it?
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
jcmooreusmc
1991 YJ Wrangler 

The only need to flip down the windshild in this case is to replace the seal. However, you stated that it was already replaced. Not sure why it would be leaking. Have you checked the cowl itself? I don't know for sure, but I've heard that it can become blocked and cause some leaking. I personally wouldn't caulk mine b/c it would not be fixing the problem correctly. That's just my opinion though. I hope you are able to find the cause and a fix for it.
jcmooreusmc is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

If I can wait till the weather warms up and then i can remove the hardtop. Then I'll give a new seal a shot. But if I can caulk it in place right now what would that hurt?
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:28 PM   #7
DirtKar
I pledge allegiance.

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like you've made up your mind since you've posted the same thing 3 times. Of course you can try to caulk it in place. The problem is, the rubber will expand and contract to the point that the sealant won't stick properly and you will be forced to deal with the mess in addition to installing he new seal at some point. Give it a shot, just be prepared to deal with it later. Make sure your drain on the firewall is clear as well so that you aren't misdirecting your leak stopping efforts. Good luck.
YJOTM JULY 2014
DirtKar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #8
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Try some plumbers putty. It isn't permanent, will come off easy and will stop that area from leaking. You will probably find you are leaking from other areas as well: hinges, around the glass, cowl air duct, etc.
Unread 02-27-2013, 08:26 PM   #9
JeeperDon
Patience, Grasshopper

1993 YJ Wrangler 

You can find out if it's that gasket leaking or not by putting come clear packing tape over it as it sits. No commitment to silly crap that may not fix the problem. Tape is easy cleanup to take off whenever.
Unread 02-28-2013, 03:24 AM   #10
chuck172
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got a little frustrated there, calmer minds prevail. I'll just wait till spring and replace the seal again. No sense making a big mess and causing more work down the line.
Unread 02-28-2013, 06:58 AM   #11
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Are you sure it's the cowl seal that's leaking and that the fresh air intake isn't blocked?

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 07:18 AM   #12
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Here's a different view - I replaced the lower windshield seal on my boys 92 when we did his dash
I put some of that black sticky caulking strip stuff on it, between the frame and the seal, and it seemed to help...at first
It started leaking a few months later and didn't stop until I cut that big upside-down outside lip off so the seal was flush with the outside of the body
No more leaks

I had many leaks with my own 87 - cut the lip off and it quit, but I still have a leak somewhere else in the firewall/cowl area
It leaks down the inside of the firewall instead of on me like it did before I cut the outer lip
I'm thinking probably from the body seam at the base of the windshield support of the cowl

My buddies 89 was leaking like there was no tomorrow whenever it got wet from anything
Cut the outer lip off and his leaks are minimial now....even with a hose
We're still working on it tho...

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM   #13
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus87gn View Post
snip.. I cut that big upside-down outside lip off so the seal was flush with the outside of the body...snip
I recently replaced the seal on my 1995. It wasn't leaking (that I know of, but I never drive in the rain), but it was old and cracking.

The design of the seal is really idiotic, so cutting off the upper outside lip would make a lot of sense.

BTW, I'm having trouble with my new seal "squeezing" out front a bit when I rotate the windshield in position. I need to get 5 friends (10 hands) over to help hold it in position while I bolt the windshield down.

I also thought about using RTV to help hold it in position. Will likely never drop the windshield again...
Unread 02-28-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
Rproject
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

I don't understand the theory of caulk or RTV to hold a cowl seal in place. They're mechanically secured to the body with several fasteners along their length.

The "sideways" build thread: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/r...hread-2164793/
Rproject is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM   #15
StanF
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I think there are 4 or 5 screws holding a 5' long piece of rubber. The rubber bulges where the screws aren't...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.