Cat/Muffler/Tailpipe recommendations - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cat/Muffler/Tailpipe recommendations

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!

Unread 03-18-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Cat/Muffler/Tailpipe recommendations

So in 6 years I've run a 3rd Walker cat into the ground (it's shot and sounds like a pebble in a tin can) and am looking to replace the Walker exhaust too since it has a hole in the side of the pipe.

I'm tired of replacing the Walker products so I thought I'd post this since there isn't much in the way of threads and the Exhaust review section has mainly throaty growling exhaust systems.

I'm not looking for the a serious sound upgrade. I don't want to have to listen to growls and pops during my commute as a DD.

What i want is a nice confident rumble, better HP but most importantly durability in a cat, muffler, tailpipe combo.

Cost is limited to ~$200.

Thanks!

Unread 03-19-2012, 12:00 AM   #2
SirCanni

I got a magnaflow cat and heartthrob complete exhaust off of Jc Whitney for around $200. I've been running it for about a year with no problems. You will need an extra 6" of pipe, being the cat is shorter than stock.
SirCanni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 06:31 AM   #3
Louie4
Powah Injanir

1993 YJ Wrangler 

I got a Magnaflow cat as well. It was $73 from Summit Racing. I live near a store so no shipping. I already had a Flowmaster and my exhaust was falling off so I took it to an exhaust shop and had them run the pipes the way I wanted it and weld in the new cat and old Flowmaster. I spent $225 for new pipes from the manifold to the Flowmaster. I also went ahead and bought a new exhaust manifold for $72 off eBay. Total I spent $370 for a new exhuast. It's a lot quieter now and I don't hear it banging around when I'm in the woods.

I have a jeep...and it is modified...I win.

YJOTM July 2012
YJOTM February 2014

Louie4's YJ Build
Poison Spyder Fender Install
Warn M8000 Rebuild Adventure
University of Georgia
Louie4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2012, 08:59 AM   #4
pete1991YJ
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a stock oval can, and stock cat, and I have the nice meaty rumble. I did it by putting a turn-down or a turn-out directly on the muffler pointing down at the road. The sound bounces off the road and vibrates the floorboards, sounds kinda like a semi taking off.
Unread 03-19-2012, 09:28 AM   #5
YJeeper89
1999 XJ Cherokee 

What year is your jeep? Mine is an 89 and i did away with all of the emission things, i picked up a flowmaster muffler off of a 94 mustang from a junkyard for 10 bucks! I pretty much ran a new exhaust myself(16) from the front of the cat all the way back. Its not too loud for me, but i am also kid so i made a mistake, i picked up all of the right adapters and pipe from advanced auto for around 30 bucks and when i cut off the turn down from the old muffler, i cut it too short and i couldn't find a big enough adapter and just ran it with no tailpipe, straight out of the muffler. Like i said, its not too loud for me but could have a different effect on you, good luck though!
Unread 03-19-2012, 10:30 AM   #6
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJeeper89 View Post
What year is your jeep? Mine is an 89 and i did away with all of the emission things...
It's a '91. Gotta few more years before I reach the golden years of no inspections.
Unread 03-19-2012, 11:07 AM   #7
cbmadcow
1993 YJ Wrangler 

$200 for both the exhaust and and cat may be hard to find unless your getting a used one.

For the muffler I have used this brand fairly inxpensive(I had it on a 98 TJ 4.0 L):
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dynomax-Supe...ea6435&vxp=mtr

Next year I plan on redoing my exhaust from the headers to the back and for the exhaust I plan on getting that one.
Unread 03-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #8
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I've been looking around and I may have to butter up to the wife to increase my budge by a few dollars. $200 will give me another Walker combo and frustration in 2 years.

The Dynomax is at the surface with respect to a balance between performance, sound cost.
Unread 11-06-2012, 01:00 AM   #9
tombombadil
1991 YJ Wrangler 

I went with a Dynomax/Magnaflo combo. Slightly better fuel economy and power although I think that's starting to diminish. Those benefits are offset by the noise though.

The noise doesn't sound as pleasant at speed as I had hoped. I can live with it though. At 3,000+ RPM the 2.5L starts to growl and it seems to keep the neighboring cars from tailgating.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.