JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   YJ Wrangler Technical Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/)
-   -   The case of the bubbling battery. (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/case-bubbling-battery-1252160/)

sbsg2005 08-12-2011 07:45 PM

The case of the bubbling battery.

Alright the first time I wrote this I wrote this long story full of details and such. Now knowing no one likes to read a long and poorly written spiel here's the gist of it. I went out to the jeep to use it to jump start my truck and heard bubbling, opened the hood and found it was the battery boiling over. Now the battery is three months old the Jeep had not been driven in over an hour. So I'm thinking WTF. I pull the battery and alt go to the advance and have them checked, the battery is now shot and not covered under warranty. The alternator is good. I put and old battery in the Jeep and jumped it with the wifes car. The battery immediately starts to bubble so hard the acid in it is coming out from under the sealed caps.

I know this is still a long post but my question is is there a way to check the pcms internal regulator to see if its bad. My meter said 14.2 volts when I got it on there. but it took a few minutes to go get the meter and put it on it.

oldtime_ironman 08-12-2011 07:56 PM

14.2 is a tad hot, last I heard it should be between 13.5 and 14. Don't quote me on that tho - Dunno how to check the PCM directly myself. So I'll watch this and learn.

EZAces 08-12-2011 08:19 PM

It is being over charged. The voltage regulates bad.

Anticanman 08-12-2011 08:36 PM

I really don't have anything productive to add, just thought I'd suggest the Hardy Boys Garage. The title of the thread points slightly in that direction...
:laugh:

sbsg2005 08-12-2011 08:48 PM

Gotta try to make the title interesting to get more views. If the regulator is bad then the 2.5 is gettin ripped out and I'm dropping in the the fresh 318 magnum I got sitting on the stand in the corner.

Anticanman 08-12-2011 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbsg2005 (Post 12013057)
Gotta try to make the title interesting to get more views. If the regulator is bad then the 2.5 is gettin ripped out and I'm dropping in the the fresh 318 magnum I got sitting on the stand in the corner.

Atta Boy!

Always forward!

mannyj 08-12-2011 09:01 PM

thats what id do but yeah it sounds like a bad regulator

JKRolling 08-12-2011 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anticanman (Post 12013005)
I really don't have anything productive to add, just thought I'd suggest the Hardy Boys Garage. The title of the thread points slightly in that direction...
:laugh:

:rofl:

But yeah, sounds like your regulators shot.

Noltz 08-12-2011 09:16 PM

Awesome. A bad regulator = Powertrain swap :)

Xpress 08-12-2011 10:15 PM

Yeah totally reasonable to replace a simple part with an entirely new engine :rolleyes:

sbsg2005 08-12-2011 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xpress (Post 12013550)
Yeah totally reasonable to replace a simple part with an entirely new engine :rolleyes:

I agree it ain't a reasonable solution but, I have everything I need for the swap laying in plastic totes and beside or under the work bench. Complete engine trans and transfer, wiring, PCM, fuel pump, and headers. Now if the regulator is bad stack that on top of the bad ax-15 and bad chain in the transfer case and the need to regear the diffs for the 36s since my 4 cylinder and 4.10s don't like em and I'll come out ahead. This Jeep see's more trails than street so why not.

By the way I found out how to check it. Just need to get a different meter.

Xpress 08-12-2011 11:20 PM

Well, with all that info, an engine swap seems like a reasonable way to fix the regulator problem :rofl:

5-90 08-13-2011 12:02 AM

Bad regulator - your battery is overcharging, which is why it's bubbling (it's literally boiling the electrolyte!)

Let it cool, then add distilled water to the battery to top it back off (to the bottom of the cup in the fill hole, please. Do not use tap water!)

Check your battery's resting voltage, make sure you didn't kill a cell. Nominal resting voltage is 12.6VDC, with anything between 12.2 and 12.8 being acceptable.

Check your charging voltage at the battery - nominal charging voltage is 13.6VDC, with anything between 13.0 and 14.0 being acceptable (NB: Charging voltage should always be at least 0.5VDC higher than resting voltage. It can be lower, but it still must be higher than resting voltage, or you're "running off the battery" and your alternator isn't charging!)

I've posted a writeup on how to test your main electrical components (starter/alternator/battery) here and on other boards - search for it, you'll find it. It's a useful little thing, and it's going to end up as a .pdf on my site when I finish the re-org.

sbsg2005 08-13-2011 09:10 AM

All my other components tested good yesterday I just didn't know how to test the regulator since it is inside the PCM. I went and picked up a better meter this morning and the regulator is bad. It sucks because you have to replace the PCM to replace it. I think for the time being I am just gonna wire in a a regulator from an older dodge truck. I am not really to anxious to start the swap yet since summer is not over yet and there is still plenty of wheeling left to do, with all the other problems this Jeep currently has that is the direction it is headed since I am looking at close to a grand to fix all the problems it has. For some off you this may nt sound reasonable but to me since I already have the parts and will have to spend minimal out of pocket it is to me.

bigbossd1030 08-13-2011 09:18 AM

5.2L, 318 Magnum V8, Mmmmm, That is one hell of an engine.
I had one in my 96ZJ that got totaled, I get so sad when I realize I should have kept the enigne and needed parts :( .
I schooled many ricers with that engine, and ate up some mean trails.
Good luck with the regulator and good luck with the swap, I hope it works out for you in one shot.

The time now is 04:04 PM.