carter carb - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > carter carb

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-17-2011, 12:39 PM   #1
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

carter carb

put my rebuilt motor back in, finally identified my carb. it is a carter carburetor. i have all the vacums blocked off but its just running terrible. i know about the nutter bypass but i havnt done it yet. do i need to? dont want to start cutting wired is i dont need to

crockett07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:44 PM   #2
Thumper01
1987 YJ Wrangler 

my carb was a mess. Vacume lines missing, nutter bypass was done. Today I changed my carb to a motorcraft 2100/2150. I love it!! It idles smooth with great throttle response.
jeep-upgrade-060.jpg  
Thumper01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:59 PM   #3
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

You either have to get all the sensors working and everything hooked back up like stock so the computer can control it like it is meant to or you have to do the Nutter.

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/list.htm

When you say you have "all the vacuums blocked off", what do you mean? Even with the Nutter, it needs some of the vacuum stuff (PCV, distributor advance etc) to run right.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:04 PM   #4
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

everything is blocked. i started off with not alot to work with so idk where the distributor advance or the the pcv goes
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:14 PM   #5
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sounds like you have to do the Nutter. There isn't anyway you'll get it running right with the computer.

Then you have to figure out what vacuum needs to be hooked back up to make it run right. Look at this thread.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/n...-mess-1250627/

Not to mention the 4wd CAD on the front axle and the heater which need to be hooked to vacuum too.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:26 PM   #6
sec2776
1988 YJ Wrangler 

If you can afford it buy a motorcraft 2100 like in a previous post. I had the Carter and like my ex-wife threw it away and got something a lot better. You don't need as many vacuum lines a or wiring. It runs great. If you really want Haynes manual has a great diagram where all the lines go.
sec2776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #7
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sec2776 View Post
If you can afford it buy a motorcraft 2100 like in a previous post. I had the Carter and like my ex-wife threw it away and got something a lot better. You don't need as many vacuum lines a or wiring. It runs great. If you really want Haynes manual has a great diagram where all the lines go.
Once you do the Nutter, you need the same amount of vacuum lines no matter what carburetor is on there.

IMHO, it is better to get it running as good as you can without replacing big expensive pieces and then when/if you do get a new carb, it will run right. If you put a new carb on it now, you will still have to nutter it and reconstruct the vacuum stuff and also tune in a new carb all at the same time.

Your carb might be fine or it might be totally shot and unusable. You won't know that until you get it hooked up right.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

alright well i did the nutter and now the thing wont crank at all. tried advancing the distributor 8 degrees but now i have nothing...
Unread 09-17-2011, 02:49 PM   #9
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

No spark or no fuel?

How did you put the wires together. Go through the steps and make sure you did it right.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/ho...bypass-522262/
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:29 PM   #10
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The Nutter only involves 2 wires, double check it and try again. Make sure you didn't disconnect the ground wire coming from the distributor, this is your only ground for the entire ignition system.

As for the Carter BBD, if it won't run with the Carter, there is something else wrong with your setup. It is a good carb, they have powered American built trucks for Billions of miles. Detroit wouldn't have used them for more than 40 years if they were as bad as folks here say they are.
Unread 09-17-2011, 03:41 PM   #11
crockett07
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i straightened out the nutter. everything is good with that. guess ill have to just start working on the vaccum

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.