Carter bbl - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carter bbl

Warn, Smitybilt, Engo, Rugged Ridge Winches at CCORIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineWe still have some great deals going on!

Unread 08-16-2013, 12:26 AM   #1
jasonjones21
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Carter bbl

I'm having starting issues on my 89 wrangler 4.2l Amc 256 l6 with a carter bbl carb with an electric choke if I would convert the electric chock to a Manuel one would I be able to start my jeep easier.
It doesn't matter if it is 85 degrees or even 34 degrees it still takes 6 times to start the carb has been rebuilt 2 mounts ago
Thanks

jasonjones21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 01:09 AM   #2
iflypa28
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I just did this on mine, but for a different reason. My choke was actually not disengaging all the way on its own so after it warmed up, it ran like crap. I could have fixed it but I kind of like manual controls The manual choke does have a bit of a learning curve if you've never used one. It takes a little bit to figure out exactly what makes the engine happy. It will only make stating easier if there is something wrong with your automatic choke. There could be other problems that cause hard starts. For instance my timing chain was shot and when I replaced it I had no more hard starting problems. You can take off the air cleaner assembly and check the choke. Its the big flap at the top of the carb. (if you don't already know that). When the engine is completely cold it should be closed. When you first start the engine, there is a vacuum pull-off that will open the choke slightly (about a 1/4 of the way or so) as soon as the engine starts. As the engine warms up the flap should open all the way. If it doesn't do one of these functions properly than you have a problem. I left my vacuum pull-off connected with the manual choke so it still does that function on its own when I start it. Hard starts would be caused by the vacuume pull-off not working, the choke not closing all the way when its cold(the engine not outside temp.) or being stuck open. Hope this helps
iflypa28 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-16-2013, 06:28 AM   #3
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

You probably just need a new choke coil, they are a maintenance item and do not last forever.
Unread 11-28-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
krazybob
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
You probably just need a new choke coil, they are a maintenance item and do not last forever.
What is a choke coil ? Never heard of that part
1988 YJ 4.2 5sp
krazybob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-28-2013, 05:02 PM   #5
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

It is the bi-metal spring coil that closes or opens your choke blade depending on temperature.

The electric portion of the choke DOES NOT aid in starting, it aids in disengaging the choke once the engine is running. These are not outboard engines, the term "electric choke" means something entirely different.

If you are having trouble starting, get a factory service manual and set the carb and choke to specs. Check that your fuel filter is installed such that the bypass fitting in the 12 o'clock position. Make sure the check valve in your fuel pump is not leaking. If your carb leaks down, or the fuel evaporates out, you need to fill the float bowl up before the engine will fire. Takes 5 to 15 seconds of cranking to do this, totally normal for a carburetor.
Unread 12-09-2013, 02:25 PM   #6
CodyRunr

Help!! I live in Ca. And my YJ Wrangler, will not pass smog! It has 4.2, and a carter carb nightmare! I can not get the , adjustment , down low enough, from running too rich....would a different carb ,be easier to pass our smog regulations?
CodyRunr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #7
superj
1987 YJ Wrangler 

You should read up on the laws in your area for passing emission inspection. As far as I know, its not legal to change your carb for another in Cali
Unread 12-09-2013, 05:36 PM   #8
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyRunr View Post
Help!! I live in Ca. And my YJ Wrangler, will not pass smog! It has 4.2, and a carter carb nightmare! I can not get the , adjustment , down low enough, from running too rich....would a different carb ,be easier to pass our smog regulations?
Fill out your profile.
make your own thread. Your problem is different.
Your carb is not a nightmare, it is a mechanical part that requires maintenance after 20 years of service.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.