Carter BBD Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carter BBD Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits

Unread 03-08-2010, 11:17 PM   #1
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Carter BBD Issues

So, I have a 89 4.2L. I just finished the nutter bypass, and rebuilding the carb. Once I had everything back together I tried turning the key, and it just kept turning over and over.

When I checked everything out, I didn't have any fuel in the carb. So, I decided to pour some gas in the carb. It fired right up and then died. I put in a new fuel pump. Now I have gas in the bowl, but the engine still isn't starting.

I'm not much of a carb guy, but I followed the instructions of the rebuild kit to the T. Any Ideas?

Hawk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 11:13 AM   #2
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

i am having the same exact problem except mine is firing and fuel keep overflowing in the carb. i cant find a good diagram
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 06:10 PM   #3
laybackman
Bikini Bridge Inspector

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Does this help you two; Download it for future reference.

http://home.comcast.net/~laybackman/bbd.pdf

Getting older, I have developed some special skills. I have the ability to cough, sneeze, fart and pee at the same time.

"If we cannot afford to take care of Veterans, then we should stop making them."
David C. Wilker Jr. USAF (RET)
laybackman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 07:23 PM   #4
Hawk37
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah, That's the exact sheet that came with my rebuild kit.

I figured out that I have a huge vacuum leak around the throttle shaft. I noticed that the shaft was leaking gas when I poured it in to start the engine, but wasn't while it was running. It really messes up the spray if there isn't enough vacuum to pull the fuel in.

I double checked my vacuum leak theory by running the engine and spraying carb cleaner around the carb. If any gets into the engine its an instant octane boost (the engine revs up).

Either I get the thing reshafted by a machine shop or look for a new carb.
Hawk37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #5
RobsCrawlin7
no balls

2001 TJ Wrangler 

my carb is totally screwed, i ordered a new one. thanks for the diagram though
'79 CJ7 sold
'82 CJ7 parted
'89 MJ sold

SSG David Mejias, SSG Eric Vick, SGT William Bowling, SGT Robert McDowell
1 April 2007
Rest In Peace Brothers
RobsCrawlin7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
hh65pilot
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk37 View Post
So, I have a 89 4.2L. I just finished the nutter bypass, and rebuilding the carb. Once I had everything back together I tried turning the key, and it just kept turning over and over.

When I checked everything out, I didn't have any fuel in the carb. So, I decided to pour some gas in the carb. It fired right up and then died. I put in a new fuel pump. Now I have gas in the bowl, but the engine still isn't starting.

I'm not much of a carb guy, but I followed the instructions of the rebuild kit to the T. Any Ideas?
This is pretty simple but did you put the fuel line back correctly? Make sure the filter is higher than the fuel inlet on the carb. Just a guess. If it's higher than it sounds like a ignition/distributor problem to me. The wires running to the back of my distributor were loose and I had the symptoms you currently have. I tweaked the wires and ran them on top of the vacuum advance and it started right up. Now I'm waiting for my next problem to show up.
hh65pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2010, 09:39 PM   #7
Dado99TJ

1999 TJ Wrangler 

If you're interested in doing a swap, take the POS Carter off and throw it away and swap in a Motorcraft 2100/2150 carb. If you look around, you can find quite a few write ups on here with detailed instructions. Its simple, can be cheap, and will give you more power. Just a thought.

Nightcrew member #331

Blue Jeep Club member #332
Dado99TJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.