Carter BBD initialization not happening - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carter BBD initialization not happening

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDWe have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 01-25-2015, 12:24 PM   #1
dank
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Carter BBD initialization not happening

The fsm says that turning the ignition on (not the engine) should cause the metering rods to initialize by moving in both directions and settling in the middle. Mine are not doing this. They move in when I crank the engine, though. Does anyone have any experience with this?

dank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 12:54 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

Can you Nutter this jeep? Or do you have inspections to keep from doing it...

You can take out the little motor and clean all the crud out.. I hate the carter carb

If you get sick of messing with it and can swap carbs look into a Motorcraft 2150 or 2100
Or a weber..... I would not get the MC from ebay guy.... buy a used one and rebuild it... way too simple..
Jeepsr4me is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 02:24 PM   #3
Mike Romain
1986 CJ7 

Moving in when you crank is proper at least. That is in the rich direction. When you turn the key on, do all the dash lights light up? I think there is a computer harness ground on the dipstick bolt but could be mistaken. Never hurts to clean grounds.
Some Canadian Bush Jeep Runs and Build Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com (10 new albums added Sept 16/10)
Mike Romain is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-25-2015, 05:04 PM   #4
dancytron
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah, try to take out the motor and clean it.

It is held in by 4 bolts with torx heads. There is a spring in there that will try to escape, so be careful with that.

When you take it out, you'll see there is a notched plate that the 2 pins hook to. The plate is what moves the pins.

Mine didn't move at all, they were stuck. When I did the Nutter, I had to take it out and soak it in solvent (Seafoam if I remember right, it was a long time ago) for about 15 minutes and then work on it to get it loose. There was all kind of gummy crap in there.
dancytron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-26-2015, 10:59 AM   #5
dank
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I bought a brand new, not rebuilt carb in August, so there is no crud anywhere. Everything ran fine for 2 months or so, then it started running like crap. Started troubleshooting as per the manual, checked all stuff indicated, continuity, voltages, etc. The pins never moved, so suspected the stepper motor was bad. All measurements of resistance, voltage, etc, are as per the manual, both at MCU and stepper motor. Wiring checks out fine from MCU to stepper motor.
Bought a used MCU from eBay and plugged it in with no change in symptoms.
Returned the carburetor to seller, and just got another carb on Saturday. Plugged it in temporarily (stepper motor), and initialization doesn't happen, but the pins move in/out when the engine is cranked over, so at least it's alive now. I will try to finish installing it today and give it a try.
I heard about a posting on another forum, where someone has the same symptoms regarding no initialization but pins move in/out when cranking over, so I suspect the computer program was changed at some point in time, but the manuals weren't, or there was a tech bulletin published later.
Engine starts very quickly with the choke on. My problem is that it won't idle at all once choke comes off.
Carburetor was replaced because of erratic idle, etc, lots of play on the butterfly bushings. When the new carb was installed it ran great for a couple of months.
I can't do the nutter because of emission testing in Ontario, otherwise I would happily do it.
dank is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.