Carburetor upgrade??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carburetor upgrade???

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 01-17-2002, 04:50 PM   #1
wetodddid

Carburetor upgrade???

my stock carb needs some attention and i am thinking of swapping it out with something a little better...thinking holley, does anyone know what will fit my stock inline 6, 89yj?

Unread 01-18-2002, 12:27 AM   #2
Billy Badass

Personaly I would go with a weber carb. If you can go with fuel injection go with it. The weber comes in to versions that will give you better performance and reliability. The version 32/36 will give you more horse power and 18% better gas milage. The other one is the 38/38 it throws gas milage to the wind and gives you a 20% increase in horse power, you will get no worse gas miliage as you do with your stock carb. It's a very excelent carb, no more idle problems. If you want to modifie your stock carb, check out my post called BBD Carb Mod it takes about twenty minutes to do and you will fell a difference. It will bring new life back into your tired old jeep.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Billy Badass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2002, 09:03 AM   #3
glm 87 wrangler

I agree I run a 32/36 and i like it.topendperformance has the webers.369.00
Unread 01-18-2002, 06:04 PM   #4
Bob K

Is the improvement in mpg true?? I've always heard that you get better performance and smoother, more reliable operating, but poor gas mileage. What's the deal?
31" BFG A/T's
K&N Filter
Custom Rock Guards
Turbo Muffler
Rear Track Bar in the shed
Other Tricks I won't tell to just anybody!

'99 Grand Cherokee 4.7 V8
Towing Package
K&N FIPK
ProComp MX6 shocks
Borla Exhaust
Tow Hooks
Alpine CD with Infinity+iPod connect
Just getting started!

If you're not living on the edge...
you're taking up too much space.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2002, 07:28 PM   #5
Brendan

I have the weber and i don't get great milage, I don't know if I can attribute this to my carb or just me car in general. I really like the look and performance. I personally would never do EFI kit

95 YJ 2.5L 5 Speed

Fightin a war against Florida Rust!
Brendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:25 PM   #6
Billy Badass

Like I said it all depends on which carb you go with, and your driving style. The 32/36 gives better gas miliage, while the 38 will give you about the same, but it's true.

88' YJ 3" body, 32x11.50 ProComp Mud Terrain. JKBII Carb Mod. Nutter Bypass and a new ignition. White Faced Gauges with blue backlighting. Sone to come 4.10 gears and lockers.
Unread 01-18-2002, 10:27 PM   #7
Billy Badass

The do make a manifold to bolt up to the 258 that will aloow you to bolt up a holly four barrel, but then you will have no gas miliage.

Unread 01-18-2002, 10:49 PM   #8
glm 87 wrangler

Well all i can say about the weber in my case is that it performes better and a heck of a lot more dependable than the carter ever was.As for the gas milage part I am seeing about 11 to 12 mpg in the city and about 14 to 16 on the hiway keep in mind i do have an auto tranny.As for the carters gas millage I will say this.It spent more time down than it did on the road so I never got a chance to check the mpg rate before i became angry at the carter and replaced it.Your performance and milage will depend on the over all condition of your Jeep.If over all the motors in great shape then yes it will be an improvment.Some of the guys on this forum have had tunning problems with there webers but they are slowing getting them worked out.I hope some of them will give there imput
on there insight of the weber.But any help i may offer you please feel free to email me.Gary
Unread 01-20-2002, 10:32 AM   #9
mc87yj

I just installed a Motorcraft 2100 on mine.Cost less than a $100.You can do it cheaper if you can find used carb.They are pretty easy to find.Took me 1 1/2 hrs. to change.My '87yj runs great now.
mc87yj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.