Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Carburetor Question

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  KEVNISE 
#1 ·
Whats a good replacement carburetor for a 89 4.2 ?
I dont want anything extreme or difficult to replace mine that is shot......

#2 ·
Weber, $299 on ebay, and don't try to rebuild the carter bbd piece of crap you have now, just buy a weber and be done with it.

#5 ·
I 86'd the Carter last week and put on a Holley 500CFM 2 BBL. So far it seems great. Was sort of a pain to install, the Choke is a little hokey and the adapter plates took a little engineering to get right.

It has better milage and is much smoother, and least important, it looks really good! :)

On the down side, 500 CFM is too much for the 4.2, I've got to call Holley support and try to sweet talk them into sending me some smaller jets. The lowest idle I can get is 1K.

With adapters, air cleaner linkage parts and all the whole setup cost about 300. 230 for the carb, and about 60 for everything else.

Oh one other thing, I have a post-nutter engine, don't put on a Holley unless you have removed all the polution crap. it won't work for ya.

HTH

#6 ·
Whats the best model of weber or is thier only 1 ?

#7 ·
#8 ·
Thats the one............It's pretty easy to install and you won't believe how much more power it will have.You can also get one at 4wd.com,Quadratec,or J.C. Whitney for about $390.

#9 ·
Thanks guys and ill let ya know.. its enroute as we speak :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.