Carburator question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carburator question

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 08-14-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
mudsling
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Carburator question

You guys in the know, just got a 87 yj 6 cyl 4.2l. It needs a new carb, what do you guys recommend for a replacement? It does not have an electronic feedback. Thanks in advance!

mudsling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 08:36 PM   #2
Jeepsr4me

motorcraft 2100 series
Jeepsr4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Respectfully disagree. Replace it with what it came with.

Also, why do you think it needs replacing? The majority of 'bad' carburetors respond well to a thorough rebuild, including dipping is a good-quality carb cleaner (not spray cans, the stuff that comes in 1 or 5 gallon cans - NAPA sells it).
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2012, 10:40 PM   #4
mudsling
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The first thing I did was to take it to a carburetor place to be rebuilt. The same problem persisted, the float gets stuck and the truck shuts down. I took it to yet another mechanic and he couldn't fix it neither. I actually found a tread about a carb install that used kit WK551 34 DGEC from Quadratec. The carb that I have is a Weber and it looks identical to the 34 DGEC. What do you guys think?
Unread 08-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
troy6187
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If the float is getting stuck, then something is bent or worn. Or the carb needs cleaned very well. And no disrespect to the guy that said to use what it came with, but the stock carter bbd is a piece of junk. If you are really set on a new carb, then the motor raft 2100 or another webber are your best choices
troy6187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 03:06 AM   #6
mudsweatNgearz
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Motorcraft 2150 hands down!
Unread 08-15-2012, 05:47 AM   #7
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Properly set up and maintained, the Carter BBD gives very good service.

None of the replacement carbs are engineered for the YJ. None have a fresh air ducting system or a heated air intake system for cold weather starts.

It is pure dumb luck if a replacement carb is properly jetted or has the proper power valve for the 4.2 engine.

Can one of these carbs be properly set up and tuned for the YJ? Sure, but it takes extensive carburetor experience to do it, and if the owner was this familiar with carburetor operation, their original carb would be working without issues.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Jeepsr4me

Just do a search, On the crappyist carb ever put on a Jeep engine. That Carter BBD will be it. The one I said can be bought set up to drop straight on the 4.2 and run perfect. Guy rebuilds them and sets all the jets and other crap. I have owned only 4 carbed jeeps and would take a hammer to that carter cause I hated it.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #9
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

My BBD easily passed the state sniffer test, I have yet to see positive results on the other carbs. A little known secret on carb tuning is you can cover up many problems by running overly rich.

My BBD setup has a quarter of a million miles on it and is still a reliable daily driver. Would like to see results after several decades on these aftermarket carbs.

If the BBD was that bad, AMC, Jeep, and Mopar would not have put them on several million of their new vehicles.

There are people who can't properly operate a hammer, doesn't mean the hammer isn't a good tool in the right hands.
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:32 AM   #10
Jeff88
Web Wheeler
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
If the BBD was that bad, AMC, Jeep, and Mopar would not have put them on several million of their new vehicles.
Does the same logic apply to the Peugeot transmission? The factories have certainly been known to make errors!

There are countless threads complaining about the Carter carb. At the very least this suggests that the carb had some issues, especially as it ages.

Maybe you just got a good one?

For myself, I bought the Motorcraft 2150 from the guy on ebay, performs absolutely flawlessly.
Jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 07:46 AM   #11
Jeepsr4me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X View Post
My BBD setup has a quarter of a million miles on it and is still a reliable daily driver. Would like to see results after several decades on these aftermarket carbs.

These are not aftermarket carbs. They are carbs made by FORD. I use to go to the Junk yard and pull a motorcraft off a 60's or 70's truck or car, clean the inside of it out and put back together and run it as is. May have to change a jet or 2 but that is bone simple compared to that carter. They would run upside down, matter of fact I rolled a car and it wanted to keep running with me on the lid.

You may just be the lucky one with the carter you have. But countless others have the opposite experience.
Jeep has put some terrible parts in a jeep, all in a effort to save cost or just bad advice.
I HATE that carter and the BA10 trans. Well I should say I love them. Cause I have bought so many jeeps with one or both of those things bad. replaced with something better and made some coin
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:00 AM   #12
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

If it isn't certified for the engine installation, it is, by definition, an aftermarket part. (Holley, weber, SU, et al, all made OEM carbs for one model or other vehicle).

Having owned more than a few of those motorcraft air/fuel mixers, I can attest that they are not without their own problems. Blown power valves, poorly designed and leaky accelerator pumps and auto chokes that won't stay in calibration from one season to the next.

That the motorcraft seems to work "out of the box" on a 4.2 only says it is running too rich. Do not remember owners of high gas mileage YJs or CJs running the motorcraft.

Nearly every used Jeep I have run up on with one of these wonder carbs is all but belching black smoke out the back, all the time while the owner brags about how well it runs and his 14 MPG.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:33 AM   #13
mudsling
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I found that the carb in it, is a weber. I call quadratec and tey have DGEC 32/36 for $336 it comes with a steper motor. Can you guys tell me what is the steper motor and do i need to install it. Sorry for the dumb questions, I can single handed rebuilt a YJ but I don't know anything about carbs.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #14
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

The stepper motor is for the computer control system. Not what you want if you aren't running the emissions computer.
Unread 08-15-2012, 08:45 AM   #15
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old4X
My BBD easily passed the state sniffer test, I have yet to see positive results on the other carbs. A little known secret on carb tuning is you can cover up many problems by running overly rich.

I went through 3 BBD's on my Jeep before I changed over to the Holley - the throttle shaft kept wallowing out the base of the carb and leaking vacuum - you must have got a 'wendesday' carb - have run into the same problem with webers too - my Holley setup did pass the Texas sniff test but it took a correct replacement cat to do it

Quote:
Don't be fooled - Carter was lucky enough to get the contract because the other car makers were changing over to FI - they gave a cost break to AMC to get the business

Quote:
There are people who can't properly operate a hammer, doesn't mean the hammer isn't a good tool in the right hands.
QFT

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.