Carb Help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Carb Help

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 01-19-2010, 09:11 AM   #1
royalhighness
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Carb Help

I have an 89 YJ, 4.2L I6. I'm having a bit of a problem, every time I let it sit and idle it idles down until it dies. Adjusting the idle screw doesn't seem to help any. I've also run some carb cleaner through it. I've got an EPMI EPC 32/36 carb. It also dies when I stop too fast. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

royalhighness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 09:20 AM   #2
jbolty

1990 YJ Wrangler 

most likely your idle tubes are clogged.

here's the fix

Easy Fix for Jeep 258 Carter BBD Idle Problem

Edit: never mind, I just saw that you don't have the carter carb.

Maybe the float level is too high.
If you live within wheeling distance of San Diego county, click here
jbolty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2010, 10:01 AM   #3
timatoe
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Check for vacuum leaks, especially around the brake booster if it's also dying while stopping.
timatoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2010, 02:45 PM   #4
royalhighness
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks!!

Carter or not I took the top of my carb off and cleaned out the bowl and hosed it down with some carb cleaner. It still stumbles a bit when I first start her up but after she's been running for awhile I don't have seem to have any problems.

There is sooo much excess wiring, tubing and hoses under the hood, some is melted and some is just disconnected, I'm not what is SUPPOSED to be connected where. I've been able to make sense of some of it but I've got an uphill battle ahead of me.

Expect to be hearing much more from me!
royalhighness is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.