Can't shift into any gear!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't shift into any gear!!!

Bilstein Blowout Sale - 4 5100 Series Shocks $309.99 shippSALE PRICING, Specials, Huge Savings Alloy USA and Posi-LoPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955

Unread 09-18-2012, 01:13 PM   #1
carloricci1

Can't shift into any gear!!!

He clutch has se play and can't shift. Does anyone know if it's the slave cylinder?

carloricci1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Will it shift when the jeep is off?
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:21 PM   #3
jaycal3
1993 YJ Wrangler 

When i lost my slave on my last jeep I had fluid everywhere underneath and couldnt shift at all... Dont know what you drive so I dont know if its internal or external...

KCCO
jaycal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #4
carloricci1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloricci1
He clutch has se play and can't shift. Does anyone know if it's the slave cylinder?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman
Will it shift when the jeep is off?
I dont know if I'm replying right, new at this but anyways. Yes it does shift when it's off. That how I got it run on 2nd till I got home. Now the weird thing is that at that time the clutch pedal was pretty low but when I parked it and left it for a fre hrs then it was back up and working
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
carloricci1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycal3
When i lost my slave on my last jeep I had fluid everywhere underneath and couldnt shift at all... Dont know what you drive so I dont know if its internal or external...
93 Wrangler stick shift. No leaks or I havn't seen any so far
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:41 PM   #6
jokerchief462
Wild Wheeler

1989 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah typical wrangler clutch problem. It is losing pressure could be the slave could be the master. Since it is a sealed system it has to leak somewhere. Mine did the hot and cold no work then works a couple days before the leak showed up under the bellhousing. So you need to take a look under the bell housing and the cab where the peddle pushes the piston for the master it will leak down the firewall by the pedal.
jokerchief462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:56 PM   #7
carloricci1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jokerchief462
Yeah typical wrangler clutch problem. It is losing pressure could be the slave could be the master. Since it is a sealed system it has to leak somewhere. Mine did the hot and cold no work then works a couple days before the leak showed up under the bellhousing. So you need to take a look under the bell housing and the cab where the peddle pushes the piston for the master it will leak down the firewall by the pedal.
Would air in the lines cause that? Or that has nothing to do with it?
Unread 09-18-2012, 03:00 PM   #8
WakeDoctor
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by carloricci1 View Post
Would air in the lines cause that? Or that has nothing to do with it?
It could be air in the lines but the question is how did it get there. Probably a leak. You can bleed the system of air with another person, I believe there is a write up on here somewhere, and if it comes back/doesn't fix it you might need a clutch replacement.
WakeDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.