Can't shift into 4wd - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't shift into 4wd

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 12-13-2001, 08:44 AM   #1
bobznew

Can't shift into 4wd

Last night, a buddy and I got stuck in a pretty bad hole because, at that precise moment, we couldn't get the Jeep ('95 YJ) to shift into 4wd. The 4wd light on the dash would light up, but neither of the front wheels would turn.

Could this be a transfer case problem, and if so, what's the best way to fix this problem?

thanx

Unread 12-13-2001, 12:55 PM   #2
Kev
Master of the Obvious

Was the front driveline turning? If so, it isn't likely a transfer case problem. If you've been around the forum much, you've probably read about all the trouble with the vaccuum lines and switch on the front axle. I would start there; buy a manual, search in this forum, or find somebody who's worked on YJ's and check out the connections and switch (i can't remember the actual name of it ) that locks the front in 4-wheel drive.

"We, too, born to freedom, and believing in freedom, are willing to fight to maintain freedom. We and all others who believe as deeply as we do, would rather die on our feet than live on our knees." FDR

Blue Jeep Club Member #4
92 Canyon Blue Wrangler YJ 4.0L - with some fun goodies
Kev is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2001, 01:29 PM   #3
Newfie

Chances are, if there was a problem with the t-case, you would know it in 2wd as well. Clicking sounds or knocking right under your butt and you would probably feel vibrations when driving.

Not to sound rude, but are you sure it was in 4wd? Sometimes when you pull it back to 4 low, you can mistake nuetral for it (and the light will still be on). Were the back wheels spinning?

In regards to the vacuum system Scrap it and buy (or fab) a posi-lok kit if you plan to keep the D30 (and not replace the axles with TJ axles). Not worth messing with, too unreliable. HTH
Unread 12-13-2001, 07:00 PM   #4
bobznew

Quote:
In regards to the vacuum system Scrap it and buy (or fab) a posi-lok kit if you plan to keep the D30 (and not replace the axles with TJ axles).
Are you talking about something like a BDS Rock Lock?

BTW, we nearly stuck a 70HP tractor getting the @#%!* thing out of the mud. We finally had to get a bulldozer to get it out. No winch yet unfortunately.
Unread 12-16-2001, 07:56 AM   #5
dartboy

Not saying this is how it goes every time but...all the troubles I've had with vaccum lines, the 4x4 light didn't come on. That's just my experiences though.
dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2001, 08:52 PM   #6
Newfie

Quote:
Originally posted by bobznew:
Are you talking about something like a BDS Rock Lock?

Same idea, replace the vacuum system with a cable actuated one.

Quote:
BTW, we nearly stuck a 70HP tractor getting the @#%!* thing out of the mud. We finally had to get a bulldozer to get it out. No winch yet unfortunately.
Yeah, been down that road before. I REALLY hate bog/mud, have a twitch anytime I see it on the trail now...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.