Can't remove shafts from diff? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't remove shafts from diff?

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 06-05-2014, 08:39 PM   #1
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Can't remove shafts from diff?

Let me just stay off by saying I don't know much about how diffs go together. My rear yoke snapped, my buddy had his old dana 35 left over from an 8.8 swap. He recently replaced the shafts but I can't get them out of this thing. I know the pin in the center needs to be removed. The one the spider gears are on. It had a retaining screw a removed that but I still can't get the thing out it wiggles back and forth but won't sled up or down.

image-3586943422.jpg

Am I forgetting something? Like I said first time I've never worked with an axle other than changing fluid so I don't know if I'm missing anything.

Longview is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #2
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Did you mean the pinion snapped?

Push in on the shafts and remove the "C" clips.
Unread 06-05-2014, 10:18 PM   #3
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

So you can't get the center pin out? And you removed the retaining screw that goes through the end of the center pin?

Tap it out so that the end with the retaining screw exits. Don't try to tap the end with the retaining screw in.

Then you can push the axle shafts inwards and remove the clips on the end that hold them into the side gears.

Then you can pull the axle shafts out.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2014, 08:34 AM   #4
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

The pin that I was pointing at the center pin won't slide out but the retaining pin is out. Maybe I need to push the shafts in a little bit first will try when I get home.
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #5
tom_sprecher
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Is that rust all over that thing? Those pins are a tight slip fit to begin with. Any rust will make it hammer time.

Unread 06-06-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Longview
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Sadly it was left outside without the cover on!
Unread 06-06-2014, 09:58 PM   #7
imstillatwork
1993 YJ Wrangler 

That's what I'm saying, you need to tap it out. Get a brass punch and tap it out. Tap the end that does NOT have the retaining screw hole.
imstillatwork is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.