Can't pick a lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't pick a lift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 06-09-2010, 08:00 PM   #1
ZachYeager
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Can't pick a lift

A few weeks ago I picked up a decent YJ for under a grand. Put another motor in it, and now I'm starting to think of lift options.

I don't wheel that much, but I'm want it to look a bit more aggressive and not have any problems getting me in and out of hunting spots. It also has to be decent on the highway/hills. Right now it's bone stock and looks like a pansy arse jeep.

Ideally I'd like to run 33" tires. I know I'm going to have to regear to run the 33"s with any kind of success on the highway. I'd like to avoid a SYE if possible just because of not wheeling it that hard and it seems kind of unnecessary for my type of build.

I know that a 4 inch lift will clear the 33"s and probably put me into the SYE market. I was thinking of running a 2.5" lift with a 1" body lift. Do you guys think that will clear the 33"s easily? I should be able to get away with just a t-case drop if I go this route. If PA wasn't so strict about your tires sticking out of the fenders, I'd be sold on the 2.5 with some tube fenders which would look awesome, but I think I will be getting hassled all of the time from Johnny Law.

Just looking for some opinions on my plans

Thanks
Zach

ZachYeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:17 PM   #2
RustedWrangler
1990 YJ Wrangler 

4" lift should not need SYE. I run 4" with 1.5" shackles and do not need SYE.

If you go 2.5 with 1 body you will probably have fender contact both front and rear off road. Rugged ridge makes a TJ style fender flare for the YJ's that does require a bit of body trimming in the rear, but will allow you to run 33's with your lower lift. They flares also come in up to 7" width which is around 3.5" wider than your stock flares, they are also reasonably priced.

I used the rugged ridge flares to clear my 35's with 5.5" of total lift and they work well.
RustedWrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 08:40 PM   #3
TheNewbie
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I run a 4" RC lift with 33's. I don't need a SYE, but at highway speeds like 75+ (which is about impossible to hit with 33's being turned by a stock 2.5 with stock 1.10 gearing) I do get some vibration. But I usually take it slow on the highway anyway. These things are like motorized bricks.

My build thread...
I've got a shotgun, a rifle and a four wheel drive...
TheNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2010, 11:54 PM   #4
ZachYeager
1992 YJ Wrangler 

From the way it sounds I won't be needing that SYE. I'll probably just go with the 4" and use the saved SYE money to put some flat flares on down the road. It also sounds like I may be able to get by around town with the 2.5 and 4:10's for a while.

Thanks guys.
ZachYeager is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #5
coldyj
1991 YJ Wrangler 

When I bought my jeep the previous owner had a 2" body lift on it and I put on a 2.5" Rough Country suspension lift. Took the track bars/ swaybar off and now it rides good......well, for a yj. The body lift would keep the driveline angles down since you wouldn't have to run as much suspension lift.
coldyj is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.