Can't get soft top on right - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't get soft top on right

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueThanksgiving/Black Friday/Cyber Monday Deals at JeepinOutfBlack Friday Sale!!

Unread 06-11-2001, 11:48 AM   #1
dartboy

Can't get soft top on right

I have a 90 YJ with the full hard doors. I have only had the soft top on for one summer Since I have had the Jeep(first Summer). I put it back on this year but can't seem to get it to fit right. I had the smae problems the first year but not as bad. OK here's the problems:

The whole top...ribs and all, seems to be sitting forward to much. The 2 bars that go around the doors, 1 above and 1 down the side of the door are in the way of the door shutting. The one going down the door looks like it is supposed to fit into a hole in the tracks for the ribs of the top. It seems to be about a half an inch two short. And is the bar going across the top of the door supposed to connect to something or just sit in the velcro wrap from the top? It also appears as if I am missing the pieces on either side of the tailgate for the top to hook into. It didn't come with the Jeep when I bought it but you can see where they are supposed to go. I hope this wasn't too confusing. I would be in debt forever to anyboby who can give any help.

Thanks,

Jason Duffy

dartboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-12-2001, 02:45 AM   #2
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Any chance you could take pictures for us? Honestly, you should probably ask the question on the CJ list. You have the older style top it sounds like. Also, full hard doors don't usually fit a soft top very well on a YJ or CJ. They fixed that for the TJs though.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-13-2001, 02:25 AM   #3
lostboy

Is this an oem softop or aftermarket? I can help you with this problem if it is an aftermarket by Bestop. I am in the process of replacing mine that had no rear window ,so I have lots of spare parts and I have the instructions which came with the new one.One of the first things they say to do is measure from the windshield top frame to the rear of the vehicle. Let me know if I can be of help.
Unread 06-13-2001, 11:14 AM   #4
dartboy

Waiting for pictures of my problem to come baack, so you can see my problem.

Lostboy, as far as I know it is the original top, I bought the jeep used, so I'm not 100% sure. Any help or hints you have would be appreciated. Is the supposed to be something on either side of the tailgate for the top to hook into? I don't seem to have those pieces.
Unread 06-14-2001, 01:13 PM   #5
lostboy

There is on mine,but I have an aftermarket. There is a tag near the driver's side window which lists the manufacturer. Also,I have brackets which fit between the windshield and sportbar extension to hold the sides of the top in place. Hope this helps.
Unread 06-14-2001, 09:06 PM   #6
dartboy

Ok those brackets that go from the winshield to the sport bar, do they conect to anything on the windsheild side. That is part of my problem, thoes brackets are just sitting there, in the way.
Unread 06-14-2001, 09:48 PM   #7
XLoRider

The tailgate question - there is supposed to be a bar that has a channel near the top fot the bottom of the rear window to slide into. This fits in place above the tailgate to provide a seal. This sounds like it was a factory hardtop - do you have the studs that the upper frame above the doors connects to? They are about 1" long and have a rounded edge - the upper frame slides into place connecting to these. (This is a factry softop description, others may vary)
XLoRider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2001, 03:27 AM   #8
Soup

you can tell if you have a factory top by looking at the rear window. In one of the bottom corners you should be able to see the Daimler Chrysler symbol. I know that this doesn't help the rest of your problem but this may answer a future question.
Soup is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2001, 11:49 AM   #9
jpwranglr9

here is a simple way to tell what top you have. there are 2 basic types, best top and OEM or OEM replacement. Do you have velcrow anywhere (around the Door). if so this is a best top. if not this is a OEM. The frame around the door, is it a bent rod or streight 2.5" wide peices? if it is bent rod its a best top.
and if you can get it on the jeep with the hard doors, its a best top. you are missing the hardware that bolts to the windshild at the spreader bar bolts in the top corner. this gives you a place to insert that round rod. then you can insert the rod to the plate on the body tub near the door latch.
about the back, im not sure what you are refering to. sorry.
1995 YJ ,SOA with 4" procomp front 3.5" BDS rear 1" shackle rear, custom stearing, 35x12.50x15 pro-comp MTs, warn xd9000i, on-board air from A/C, dana 44 rear and 30 front with 4.56, powertrax no-spin rear, custom disks rear/trutrac front, warn front shafts, HD SYE kit, HD front and rear driveshafts, Warn 4X flairs, PIAA 520 ligts and on and on and on :)
jpwranglr9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-18-2001, 11:24 AM   #10
dartboy

ok before I read JP post I found out I had a Bestop. (says on the window). I have all the velcro and stuff he was talking about. So here is my next question...can I buy just the parts I need from Bestop or do I have to buy the whole thing. I took those bent rods off for now because they were annoying the hell out me. Hopefully I can get the parts and get this thing on right. Thanks for the help guys
Unread 06-18-2001, 04:35 PM   #11
lostboy

Dartboy...if ya can't get the parts from them ...lemme know ...I have a complete set-up for the bestop from mine ...will let it go very reasonably....as I said , I'm replacing the whole thing and I have all new hardware...would like to get rid of it all as one package ...make me an offer ,pay shipping and it's yours...I have the 2 pieces which go on the windshield and all the hardware which goes around the tub.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.