Can't get my door off!!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can't get my door off!!!!

Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 04-18-2005, 09:57 AM   #1
DaveAnderson

Can't get my door off!!!!

Put the soft top on this past weekend. I was over my Mom's and had her boyfriend helping me. I bought this Jeep last year and the full sized hard doors have been on for at least 2-3 years. We greased them both up and were only able to get the driver's side off - with both of us lifting at it. The passenger door would not come off. And he's a big guy, and this was with both of us lifting. The whole Jeep was rocking. Greased it up more and still nothing. He commented that one of the hinges looked slight bent. Maybe that is the problem? There is a local Jeep shop nearby and I'm going to check with them to see if they can help. Any other thoughts?

DaveAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
lord_retro

two little thoughts - dunno if you tried them already: heat solves a LOT of problems... if you don't mind messing up the paint a little on the hinges put a propane torch to the hinges (heat makes the metal expand) and give it some good knocks with a solid mallet - i know you said you were both big guys, but sometimes good hits with a mallet shake things up better... but heat + mallet or soft headed hammer should free those things up... good luck
lord_retro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 10:34 AM   #3
f1ipst3r

what i ended up having to do is taking the hinges off, cleaned them up nice while they were off too

Black Jeep Club V2.0 Member #24
f1ipst3r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:03 AM   #4
YJ_Aaron
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Were u just picking up or were you twisting at the same time? Mine will not come out if i pick up i just flex my suspension. But if i open/close them while adding pressure they come right out.

http://ozarksjeepthing.com/c/index.php
YJ_Aaron is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:08 AM   #5
Mcpheea

... and don't forget to take the nut off the bottom of the pin.
My ole' Yj has all the traits of a fine lady... Everything bad that has happened was always my fault and at least once every month it refuses to warm up for no apparent reason then of course it wines incessantly from the top end for several days.
Mcpheea is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
DaveAnderson

We were open/closing the door while lifting up. That did the trick on the driver side, but no go on passenger. Also had a mallet and gave it some good whacks. Used a regular hammer too (paint is chipping there anyway). Didn't try heat, though. I'll probably have the Jeep shop (not a dealer - just one of those Jeep hobby/specialty shops) give it a whirl.
DaveAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:11 AM   #7
rlacey

same here...it is impossible to just lift them out on mine, i need to swing the door back and forth to get them to lift out and it still takes a good 10 or 12 swings

KC Daylighters
Hi-Lift Jack on the Hood

[url]http://image50.webshots.com/150/7/8/85/2395708850054201645HrsusY_ph.jpg[/url]
rlacey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:13 AM   #8
JKNIPE2000

when you put them back on, give them a light coat of 'never-sieze' bolt lubricant.

Currently no Jeep, but I'm in the market
JKNIPE2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 11:14 AM   #9
ex-toyota

if the door opens and closes freely, than, the bent hinge should be be an issue, try having one person wiggle the door back and forth, and the other lift, make sure u lift as close to the hinges as possible
93 I6 YJ, 1.5 shackle lift, 31x10.50 bfg ats, homemade intake kit with a k&n filter-it definitely helps out, hopefully soont to go soa, with 33's, joining the arm this summer 05, its gonna be nice to have all this money saved up, im thinkin soa, sye, tom woods shaft, like to get 35s, new bumpers, winch, im gonna love my jeep
ex-toyota is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-18-2005, 01:41 PM   #10
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

I had the same problem on my p/s door .. looked like the previous owner had tried tapping it off by hitting the threaded part of the hinge pin (messed it up). I soaked it in WD-40 .. removed the opening strap and moved the door back and forth over the whole swing .. eventually it lifted and came off. It now goes on and off like a dream
When I got the door off, I removed the top hinge from the door and rethreaded the damaged pin.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #11
edwards2243
2003 TJ Wrangler 

did you do anything to the door before putting the hinge back on? I've thought about taking the hinges off with the door (my p/s door is stuck, i'v tried everything), but I'm worried once the paint's broken I'll end up having rust issues behind the hinge.
edwards2243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #12
edwards2243
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wif View Post
I had the same problem on my p/s door .. looked like the previous owner had tried tapping it off by hitting the threaded part of the hinge pin (messed it up). I soaked it in WD-40 .. removed the opening strap and moved the door back and forth over the whole swing .. eventually it lifted and came off. It now goes on and off like a dream
When I got the door off, I removed the top hinge from the door and rethreaded the damaged pin.
did you do anything to the door before putting the hinge back on? I've thought about taking the hinges off with the door (my p/s door is stuck, i'v tried everything), but I'm worried once the paint's broken I'll end up having rust issues behind the hinge.
edwards2243 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:16 PM   #13
plym49
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Eyeball in which direction the pin is bent. Use a long steel drift and a hammer to gently tweak it true. If the pin is bent in towards the body, you have to pull it back. You can do this in various ways, either by pulling the pin out or prying it from behind. If you pry, place a thin piece of wood in between to protect the paint. Make sure you bend from where the pin is bent. If the bend starts a bit down, then straightening it just makes an S shape. Use care and logic and observation and you will get it.

Remember the #1 rule of metal work - two dozen light taps are better than one big one.

Once you get it enough to get the door off, then eyeball the pin again to make sure it is perfect. That will be the end of your pin woes.
plym49 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-02-2010, 08:57 PM   #14
1995JeepYJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

i used a HD rachet strap for garage ceiling and wiggled it and it too a lot of time because the doors had never been off... and old guy was the only owner

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.