Cant believe it's still leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cant believe it's still leaking

Jeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewJeep Grand Cherokee Header PanelTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 05-31-2013, 07:05 PM   #1
SmugglersBlues
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cant believe it's still leaking

I love my YJ but I'm ready to accidently leave a gas soaked rag sticking out of the gas tank and accidently light it.

Ok I noticed an oil leak so I thought it was coming from the distributor the o ring at the bottom of it was not to be found so I figured that was probably not good. I replaced that. That's no longer leaking.

Next I've read that the valve cover likes to leak at the back of the block and may resemble a rear main seal leak so I replaced the valve cover gasket. Still have leak.

Next I had the rear main seal done yesterday, old one was total junk.

Ok here's the problem IT'S STILL LEAKING!!!!!

It's an 89 six cyl with a five speed. It seems to leak when it gets warm. It's about a dropp every 5 seconds or so. Amounts to very little when it sits overnight. I think because of when it cools off it seems to stop. I'm currently running 5W30 any thoughts comments ideas anything would be appreciated. Thanks

SmugglersBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:13 PM   #2
CJ51973
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Look at the oil senders above the starter. The. PO of mine that the rear main was hosed. It was a sending unit.
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:16 PM   #3
Chrisnvegas
Web Wheeler
1992 YJ Wrangler 

For starters, I NEVER throw random parts at anything. If I had an oil leak, I would completely degrease and clean the motor. I would then climb under it and watch for a leak. Fans and wind blow oil around.
If I still had trouble, I would use florescent leak detector dye and a black light. I guarantee you will find it.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1786&ppt=C0050
Unread 05-31-2013, 07:41 PM   #4
Old4X
1990 CJ7 

Run 15W-40 Rotella, not that rice motor thin stuff.

Run your oil level 1 qt below full, not at top of full unless you are going off road soon.

You must have over 20" of vacuum at idle, and your PCV system must be clean and working well, no restrictions from bad hose, baffle in valve cover or vacuum port.
Unread 05-31-2013, 08:31 PM   #5
SmugglersBlues
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the replies.

CJ51973 I had someone else suggest that as well. 92 YJ normally I wouldnt just throw parts at it but figured for the cost what the heck. I will try that leak detector. Thanks. Also I was thinking that the oil was very thin thanks again for the replies.
SmugglersBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:40 AM   #6
Cashcrazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ51973 View Post
Look at the oil senders above the starter. The. PO of mine that the rear main was hosed. It was a sending unit.
X2. There is a sensor for the oil guage and oil light. Mine was leaking oil all over and it ended up being the sensor for the light which was 5.99. It wasn't leaking enough where oil needed to be added but it still managed to get all over the passenger side of the engine.
Cashcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.