canadian yj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > canadian yj

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 03-22-2005, 08:21 AM   #1
rmjuice9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

canadian yj

my buddy from ontario has finally agreed to sell me his yj for one heck of a deal. has anyone or doesn any know what all i have to do to get it back in the states. I heard you have to pay a tax. is it a lot? let me know any info you all might know
thanks

rmjuice9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 09:33 AM   #2
Megatron

visit your local DMV
and then
Megatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 09:39 AM   #3
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmjuice9
my buddy from ontario has finally agreed to sell me his yj for one heck of a deal. has anyone or doesn any know what all i have to do to get it back in the states. I heard you have to pay a tax. is it a lot? let me know any info you all might know
thanks
Up in Canada it's called a YJ, eh .. or a Jeep, eh.
Just remove the eh and you'll be fine ..
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Ridin' topless again .. sweet !!
Wif is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
phattdraggon

does it have the dana 44 rear end
Unread 03-22-2005, 02:55 PM   #5
rmjuice9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

im not sure if it has a d 44 in it or not. that would be great if it did. do you think that it will be a pain to get the gauges changed to MPH?? all i know is its a 88 with pretty much a brand new tub and paint job. he put a lot of money into it and he is going to give it to me for 1500.
Unread 03-22-2005, 03:31 PM   #6
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
im not sure if it has a d 44 in it or not. that would be great if it did. do you think that it will be a pain to get the gauges changed to MPH?? all i know is its a 88 with pretty much a brand new tub and paint job. he put a lot of money into it and he is going to give it to me for 1500.
The speedo should be a straight swap for a MPH one.
Sounds like a great deal .. but look out for those surprise taxes, duties, and inspection fees.
I know US into Canada requires you to pay an import duty, plus sales tax (GST) .. and then you have to have it inspected. So you could end up paying out a fair bit more. Plus some States have different laws for roadworthiness. A friend of mine wanted to take his '95 Japanese car down to Texas when he moved down there. It turned out that the year/model of car he had when sold in the US had two air bags .. the Canadian one only had a drivers one. He was turned away at the US border and refused access with the car because he was pemanently importing it into the US.
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Unread 03-23-2005, 10:32 AM   #7
rmjuice9
2006 TJ Wrangler 

well i figured out part of the situation. all i have to pay is 6% sales tax tot he state of PA registration and title fees. i called a local jeep dealer to see about the spedo switch and the guys said they couldnt do it. he didnt even give me an answer why. I am wondering if the spedo that is on it reads kmh then mph in little numbers under it the oppostie of american cars have these days. If it does i might be able to get away with that. If anyone knows anything about the spedo help me out cause the guys are west liberty jeep sure didnt.
thanks
Unread 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
Mcpheea

Quote:
... has anyone or doesn any know what all i have to do to get it back in the states. I heard you have to pay a tax. is it a lot? let me know any info you all might know
thanks
Try these links - they should provid all the info you need ...

export from Canada
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/

import to Canada and info on exporting "as parts"
http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/importation/menu.htm

I've heard in some states you can import as autoparts and assemble them in-state to bypass import restrictions and taxes - I believe you have to remove the body from the frame and wheels (to make it undrivable) then you ship it by truck/train and use these shipping declarations for proof & registration. This is one of the few ways to get Kit-cars into Ontario.
My ole' Yj has all the traits of a fine lady... Everything bad that has happened was always my fault and at least once every month it refuses to warm up for no apparent reason then of course it wines incessantly from the top end for several days.
Mcpheea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 01:23 PM   #9
OlllllllO Jeep1

Quote:
Originally Posted by phattdraggon
does it have the dana 44 rear end
From what I have read only Jeeps for export had 44`s and I really dont think that they would have exported Wranglers to Canada. I also have a Canadian made YJ in the U.S. and it has a 35. Although I was lucky enough to find a 86 CJ with a 44.
OlllllllO Jeep1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 01:59 PM   #10
phattdraggon

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlllllllO Jeep1
From what I have read only Jeeps for export had 44`s and I really dont think that they would have exported Wranglers to Canada. I also have a Canadian made YJ in the U.S. and it has a 35. Although I was lucky enough to find a 86 CJ with a 44.
actually there were a few rare Canadian Sold YJs that had the D44 rear Axle in them. thats why i asked - they are a real find.
Unread 03-23-2005, 02:28 PM   #11
Wif
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
well i figured out part of the situation. all i have to pay is 6% sales tax tot he state of PA registration and title fees. i called a local jeep dealer to see about the spedo switch and the guys said they couldnt do it. he didnt even give me an answer why. I am wondering if the spedo that is on it reads kmh then mph in little numbers under it the oppostie of american cars have these days. If it does i might be able to get away with that. If anyone knows anything about the spedo help me out cause the guys are west liberty jeep sure didnt.
thanks
Just get a used speedo from a breaker or someone parting one out. The only actaul difference is the face .. so a one for one swap should do it
[I]Who's[/I] in front ?

Unread 03-23-2005, 02:54 PM   #12
pushead

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88Jeepster
Just get a used speedo from a breaker or someone parting one out. The only actaul difference is the face .. so a one for one swap should do it
Or you could just by some of those nifty replacement face covers that glow, or have flames and so on for 20 bucks.
Unread 03-23-2005, 03:53 PM   #13
BackRoadJPin
1995 Wrangler

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I am wondering if the spedo that is on it reads kmh then mph in little numbers under it the oppostie of american cars have these days. If it does i might be able to get away with that. If anyone knows anything about the spedo help me out cause the guys are west liberty jeep sure didnt.
thanks
I purchased a Canadian YJ off of a local guy here in Utah, and the speedo is oppisite of that of an MPH speedo.

Keep in mind though if you are going to do the swap that you may want to try and acquire all the gauges as they are metric as well.

Speedo = KPH vs MPH
H2O Temp = Celcious vs. farhenheit
Oil Pressure reads different as well, but im not sure what that measurement is.
Voltage is universal I believe *correct me if im wrong people*

BackRoadJPin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2005, 06:53 PM   #14
dhripper

You should contact Canadain customs and they may have forms on their website. You will have to notify customs prior to transporting.
As for making it US legal, you need have it acessed by a dealship to bring it up to spec. Note: you can buy speedo overlays on ebay. That may avoid having th buy new ones.

Quote:
thanks
dhripper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2005, 08:39 AM   #15
lord_retro

the only pain with swapping speedos is that his original will actually have the original mileage on the jeep... no big deal though... the speedo comes off really easy my pulling the gauge cluster plastic (it's like 3 screws" and then you can disconnect the gauge... if you don't care about having the wrong mileage, then just put one in from the wreckers... otherwise you could just try changing the faceplate... i wouldn't know how to do that though, but i'm sure it's not that hard once you have the gauge out.... or you can just suck it up and look at the small numbers instead of the big ones!!!
lord_retro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.