can i swap a tj dana 30 intp my yj ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > can i swap a tj dana 30 intp my yj ?

ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Even Better Heim Pricing! From Ruffstuff

Unread 06-01-2013, 07:19 PM   #1
Xzero117
1990 YJ Wrangler 

can i swap a tj dana 30 intp my yj ?

If I weld on the leaf spring perches and made some modifications to it ?

Is there any other radical modifications I have to do ? Any write ups out there ?

Its impossible to find a yj dana 30 with 3.73 gears locally yet they're everywhere for tjs

Xzero117 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yes it would be possible but it would also be a downgrade.
YJs have a high pinion 30 and the TJs have a LP 30.
You may have to shorten or lengthen your driveshaft.
Another option would be one out of a XJ (Cherokee) They are high pinion too.
Lots of those out there and it would probably be cheaper than the TJ 30.
Unread 06-01-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

problem with using a TJ (or XJ, ZJ and pretty much any Jeep newer than 1987) is that they are all coil spring front.

whether you choose to cut off the coil and control arm mounts and weld on spring perches - or keep the coils and convert your YJ to run coils... either way would be a fairly radical modification needed - though modifying the axle would be the lesser of 2 evils, still a bit of work. probably cheaper in the long run to get a YJ D30 and just regear it to the 3.73 gears you're looking for
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:12 PM   #4
Joe Dillard
Electric Chair Operator
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xzero117 View Post
If I weld on the leaf spring perches and made some modifications to it?
Yep.
Quote:
Is there any other radical modifications I have to do?
None that I'd consider radical.
Quote:
Any write ups out there ?
I have done a few by owners choice. We didn't bother to do a write up on any of them.
Joe Dillard is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-01-2013, 09:57 PM   #5
SuperMidget

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanB95YJ View Post
problem with using a TJ (or XJ, ZJ and pretty much any Jeep newer than 1987) is that they are all coil spring front.
um... newer than 87 is all coil spring fronts? do you even know what year yj's were made?
SuperMidget is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

You can't find one because all the TJ guys are swapping them into their jeeps while we are actually swapping in decent upgrades that are actually worth while.
Unread 06-02-2013, 02:15 AM   #7
SeanB95YJ
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperMidget View Post
um... newer than 87 is all coil spring fronts? do you even know what year yj's were made?
the OP was asking about using a D30 out of a Jeep OTHER than a YJ because he had trouble finding a YJ axle
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="Blue"]Sean B. - Schenectady, NY - 95 YJ, 350/700r4/NP241, JB Shorty SYE, 8.8 rear, 2" BDS, 1" homebrew shackles, Daystar 1" BL, TJ flares, 35x12.50 General Grabber AT2 on 15x10 Bart D-Truckers, Polyshield polycarbonate windshield, HD over/under crossover steering
[/COLOR] [COLOR="Red"]swap/build thread: [url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/after-almost-4-years-finally-my-own-build-swap-thread-1542284/[/url][/COLOR][/FONT]
SeanB95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.