Can I install rear YJ leaf springs in the front of my YJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I install rear YJ leaf springs in the front of my YJ?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! AMP Research Powersteps - A Morris 4x4 Center Promotion

Unread 10-06-2009, 06:08 AM   #1
Jeepwood
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Can I install rear YJ leaf springs in the front of my YJ?

I'm installing a 2" Add-a-leaf kit on my 94 YJ tomorrow.

I noticed that the rear springs have 5 leafs and the front have only 4 and sit about one inch lower to the ground(due to the weight of the engine, i'm sure).

I have 2 extra pairs of rear (5 leaf) sitting around my house.

So my question is: Can I use my extra 5 leaf springs i have laying around on the front of the jeep, to raise it that extra inch?

Also when i add the AAL 2" spring, can i also add another spring from another pack to give it an additional lift?

Please advise...

PS: I don't care about ride quality or how stiff this may or may not make the ride, this is my winter beater / off road toy?

Unread 10-06-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
fishwater2
1989 YJ Wrangler 

When I picked my YJ up the PO had the rears installed in the front, they are the same length & will work without a doubt.
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:42 AM   #3
cmsurfer
1985 CJ7 

Yep... When I got my BDS lift, I bought 4 rear spring packs.
cmsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 08:47 AM   #4
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

[QUOTE=Jeepwood;8053523]

Also when i add the AAL 2" spring, can i also add another spring from another pack to give it an additional lift?

Please advise... QUOTE]

I'm guessing that you are still spring under? if so, simply adding another spring(unless it has more arch, and a higher spring rate, than your AAL) is going to lower the jeep. granted, it will only lower it the thickness of the spring, but it's still going to lower it.
Unread 10-06-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
YJake
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsurfer View Post
Yep... When I got my BDS lift, I bought 4 rear spring packs.
What would be the advantage of this?

I plan to go BDS or OME when I lift.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clemsonfan16 View Post
The 4banger only whines because it wants more!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opihi59 View Post
3 Things to know about the forum: Always PB blaster, Always check the FAQ, Always do a search, and if none of that works, ask Mean Max.
YJake is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:00 PM   #6
Jeepwood
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
I'm guessing that you are still spring under? if so, simply adding another spring(unless it has more arch, and a higher spring rate, than your AAL) is going to lower the jeep. granted, it will only lower it the thickness of the spring, but it's still going to lower it.
Yes i am still spring under.

Do you mean lift it?
If you diid mean it will lower it, that why?
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:13 PM   #7
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepwood View Post
Yes i am still spring under.

Do you mean lift it?
no, I meant "lower" it.
If you diid mean it will lower it, that why?

technically, it would depend on where in the leaf pack that you placed the extra spring. if the extra spring is placed between the main leaf and axle, it will raise the axle in relation to the frame, which will lower the jeep. if the extra spring is placed below the main leaf, it will NOT lower the jeep, but it also will NOT lift it either(with the exception of AAL's which have more arch and spring rate, which basically forces the rest of the springs to have more arch.).
Unread 10-06-2009, 12:18 PM   #8
muddy93
1987 FSJ Wagoneer 

ok, this pic should explain it a little better than I can.
basically, with a Spring Under Axle suspension, anything placed between the main leaf and the axle, will lower the vehicle.
anything placed under the main leaf(with the exception of AAL's or other springs that have either more arch, or a higher spring rate), will have no effect on vehicle height.
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:03 PM   #9
cmsurfer
1985 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinMe View Post

Now that I think of it, I think I have 4 front leaf packs. I believe the extra leaf in the front packs is to help with all the weight from the engine. Running a hardtop and rear tire carrier was sagging my old springs.
cmsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:32 PM   #10
giggityjeeper
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MosinMe View Post

one advantage is OME DOES NOT MAKE A HD front spring only a rear, so I bought 4 rear HD springs, or VS versa, they odnt make a HD for front or back so you have to get 2 pairs of the same I cant remember now......but OME you WANT HD, and the BEST spring EVER....WOW FLEX

and like the other guys said adding a leaf to spring under will lower your ride......

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/h...-jeep-1050879/

family roll bar swap/upgrade..

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/f...grade-1054753/

1990 YJ. SOA, OME 36R 3.5" lift springs, OME 5/8 greasable shackles, OTT high steer, Custom cage, team Rush, Posi, 33 TSL swampers
giggityjeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 01:37 PM   #11
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmsurfer View Post
Now that I think of it, I think I have 4 front leaf packs. I believe the extra leaf in the front packs is to help with all the weight from the engine. Running a hardtop and rear tire carrier was sagging my old springs.
That sounds more like it. I had the same thing happen with my springs and I talked to bds about it and they sent me HD springs for the rear which were the same as the springs I already had up front. All of my springs have 5 leaves in them now and it sits level with the hardtop on and and inch higher in back with the soft top on.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:52 PM   #12
Jeepwood
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy93 View Post
ok, this pic should explain it a little better than I can.
basically, with a Spring Under Axle suspension, anything placed between the main leaf and the axle, will lower the vehicle.
anything placed under the main leaf(with the exception of AAL's or other springs that have either more arch, or a higher spring rate), will have no effect on vehicle height.
I understand that by adding a block under the axle but over the leaf will lower it, that makes sense.

But for example, if i added my AAL spring plus another stock large spring, for 7 springs in total, the additional stock spring will not have any effect on raising the vehicle, because the spring rate is not any grater than the other factory springs?

So stacking up additional factory springs will not raise the Jeep, only if they had more arch, or a higher spring rate, right?
Unread 10-06-2009, 07:58 PM   #13
93jeepyj
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Right but it would ride stiffer and probably have more load capacity with the extra leaves. Some guys will add a main leaf with the eyes cut off from a dakota or maybe an s10 because they have more arch. Im not sure that that would do much for you since you already have the AAL though.
93jeepyj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 04:55 PM   #14
skipstein
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Howdy;
I own a 1991 Wrangler 2.5L 4 banger, that started life with a soft top and now runs a hardtop permanently. I have the stock 'normal duty' suspension. I will be adding a Warn M8000 winch to the front of the Wrangler this spring. I figure that adding 'heavy duty' springs all around will do the trick. I would also like to run 'rear' 6 leaf Crown HD springs on all four corners. As I read the thread, this is OK as the front and rear are the same, eh? I also will be adding new Bilstein shocks and Crown HD shackle kit. Any comments?
Thanks,
Skip
skipstein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #15
csmit328
1989 YJ Wrangler 

All 4 leafs should be the same. Im not sure if some manufacturers are different but I had some Rubicon Express springs that all had the same part number and ended up getting put on a friends jeep (long story). The Jeep was as level as any other and he said he had no problems putting them on. You should be good but there are others with more experience that can tell you if I am right or not.
csmit328 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.