Can I get some approval on my shopping list? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can I get some approval on my shopping list?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-29-2013, 03:41 PM   #1
jhalden
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Can I get some approval on my shopping list?

Hello everybody. I want to start out by thanking you all for being so helpful with all my questions on here.

I have been searching these forums the last few days trying to answer my own questions, but I lack confidence because I really don't know squat about automobiles.

I am going to be tackling the biggest job on my jeep to this date. It seems as though many of you wouldn't be intimidated by this job, but I am slightly nervous (luckily time is on my side).

All I am doing is replacing my radiator and water pump (yes there are an extensive number of threads on this subject). I am sure you are all just as tired of hearing this question as I am of searching about it, but I would greatly appreciate some sympathy.

I am pretty sure I know which parts I will need to order after browsing through all of the threads, I would just feel much better having some others verify my list.

I have a 1995 YJ 4.0l 6cyl manual transmission.

Here is what I believe I will be needing:
Radiator
Radiator Hoses (Upper & Lower)
Hose Clamps
Water Pump w/ Gasket
Thermostat & Housing Gasket
Water Pump Inlet Tube?

& probably some PB Blaster or similar product because the bolts look terribly corroded.

Is there anything I am missing (besides tools and patience)? Anything I have listed that is unnecessary? I have seen some people speak of needing teflon tape but not sure if it is needed.

Would you recommend I buy some sort of manual as well? It seems like an easy job when everyone else talks about it, I am just overwhelmed by the seemingly vague tutorials (vague to me, but maybe very clear to all of you). I know there are plenty of free resources out there in this day and age, I guess I am honestly just lazy. It gets difficult reading through thread after thread of poorly-spaced lengths of typing and mechanic jargon that I become overwhelmed. This wouldn't be such a big deal if I weren't so lazy, but at least I recognize my own faults (First step to improvement right? )

I have even found a nice youtube video with some folks removing these parts from a YJ but it is vague in my opinion. It's hard to see what the people are working on, not to mention their engine looks slightly different than mine.

I appreciate you taking the time to read my thread, and I hope I didn't appear as a hypocrite by having my thread be difficult to read (spacing or grammar-wise).

jhalden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

Rtv.
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #3
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

You can reuse your hose clamps if you want. I don't think they make a water pump gasket(if they do I'm going to be pissed) so you should get a tube of RTV too

Damn. He beat me to it.
Unread 07-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
Randonexplosion
Trailer Queen

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Dont forget the coolant...

August YJOTM

Exiled Offroad - Colorado
Randonexplosion is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:00 PM   #5
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

BandAids ,,,,, put A big box of Bandaids on your list !!
Seriously when doing auto repairs no matter how prepared I think i am I usually make at least 2 "emergency" Trips to the parts or hardware store
Get the highest Quality Hose clamps you can find !! , Sometimes you can find better ones at a hardware store than a auto parts store .
Did you have Coolant on your list
I run "watter wetter along with coolant , I think it helps
Think about a high flow water pump , a high flow thermostat housing and thermostat . (can easily be found online)
Don't worry too much about asking question , INMOP thats what Forums are for , personally I hate wading through a bunch of old threads to finde out what I want to know RIGHT NOW !!!

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #6
102joe
1993 YJ Wrangler 

damn all those replies while I was typing

NO REALY ,, IT IS HIP TO BE SQUAIR
102joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
jhalden
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I am always amazed how fast the replied come in on here! Yes definitely got the coolant. And as far as the RTV, is it truly necessary? I have heard some criticize the actual need for this, it seems more of an anal tendency but maybe I'm wrong?

Here's the thermostat gasket I mentioned: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...931&cc=1185274

Does this eliminate the need for RTV or is it just an extra precaution to use RTV?

Last edited by jhalden; 07-29-2013 at 04:24 PM..
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:11 PM   #8
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would also pick up a Haynes manual.
At the very least it will give you the torque values and would help with future repairs.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:16 PM   #9
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhalden View Post
I am always amazed how fast the replied come in on here! Yes definitely got the coolant. And as far as the RTV, is it truly necessary? I have heard some criticize the actual need for this, it seems more of an anal tendency but maybe I'm wrong?

Here's the water pump gasket I mentioned: http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/more...931&cc=1185274

Does this eliminate the need for RTV or is it just an extra precaution to use RTV?
That is for the thermostat.
Yes it is needed.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:17 PM   #10
Anticanman
Follow me

1994 YJ Wrangler 

I suppose you could use that gasket but I have used rtv on every water pump I've done on every vehicle and tractor and its been fine. I would like something easier so let us know how well it works.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:28 PM   #11
crackedcornish
1988 YJ Wrangler 

here's a water pump gasket
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/199...mp_gasket.html

as long as you're replacing the majority of the cooling system, you may as well flush the system first, and do the heater hoses as well as the rest of the stuff you mentioned
Orange Jeep Club #88

˙ɹǝʌo ɹǝʇndɯoɔ ɹnoʎ dılɟ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı
crackedcornish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:35 PM   #12
TSEJEEPERS
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I would also pick pick up some distilled water.
That is unless you use the pre mixed anti freeze.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:46 PM   #13
jhalden
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I had to edit my last post. That was the thermostat gasket; the water pump gasket is separate and actually included with the bosch pump I am ordering. If that thermostat gasket works out I'll be sure to let you know. Surprised that no one had heard of it before...

And I use premixed coolant but usually have distilled water on hand.

As far as the heater hoses go, from searching forums it seems like I need one 3/4" diameter and one 5/8" diameter. On rock auto I can find the 3/4" but closest I can find to 5/8" is .620". 5/8 is .625 but I am hoping this minute difference wont matter.
Unread 07-29-2013, 04:59 PM   #14
Michaelgoesrawr
Web Wheeler

1988 YJ Wrangler 

I've used the thermostat gasket. It's just paper. Nothing special. That water pump felpro gasket is something ill be keeping in mind.
Unread 07-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #15
jhalden
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Sorry I feel I have induced some confusion here. 2 gaskets; 1 for thermostat and 1 for water pump. Apparently some didn't know about the water pump gasket? Some people have installed water pumps without gasket and using only RTV? This indicates that RTV may not be necessary when using the water pump gasket, but I will use it anyways as an extra precaution. Thanks again for all the help you guys! I will let you know how it goes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.