Can anyone recommend a good tire for sand? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can anyone recommend a good tire for sand?

Introducing MONSTALINERÖ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinGear Installs at CCOR Special

Unread 12-19-2001, 11:39 AM   #1
NantucketJeep

Can anyone recommend a good tire for sand?

Need a good sand tire, particulary soft beach sand, for a 95 wrangler 2.5 I was thinking about either BF Goodrich AT or MT (some say Mud tires are no good for sand?) We are required to air down on public beaches. This jeep gets practicaly no highway use, so a semi aggresive tread is ok. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

Unread 12-19-2001, 12:04 PM   #2
GREGDOG95YJ

DO YOU HAVE ANY LIFT ON THE JEEP? IF NOT GET SOME 29X11.50 15 MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA BELTED OR AND A BODY LIFT AND GO WITH A 325/60/15 (31X12.50 15) BF GOODRICH AT OR MT OR GET THE 31X13.50 15 MICKEY THOMPSON BAJA BELTED. THE BIGGER THE FOOTPRINT THE BETTER TO DISTRIBUTE THE WEIGHT OF THE JEEP TO KEEP IT FROM SINKING.

"just like all addicts my need to satisfy my addiction far exceeds my wallet!!"
GREGDOG95YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2001, 03:26 PM   #3
jeepsonly

I had Mickey Thompsons Baja Belted tires about 10 years ago on my Ford Ranger 4x4 and they did well on the beaches of Delaware and Maryland. They wore down in a little over 10k miles on the road, though. Believe me, I had the alignment checked, balancing, etc. They were also loud but I kinda liked that :-)

BTW, glad to be a Jeep owner now...
jeepsonly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2001, 04:54 PM   #4
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

BFG ATs are *****'n in the sand. And road life you just can't beat. Mud tires do kinda suck in the sand. You can get around with them, but not as well as with the ATs.
osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2001, 07:47 PM   #5
Wildbill
1992 YJ Wrangler 

I have General Grabbers AT on my CJ-5 they were on it when I bought it. I have taken them in lots of what we call sugar sand here in FL and never had a bit of problem.
They are 31X10.50 on 15X8 wheels. Don't drive it much on road so don't know how long they last. The prices I've seen are pretty resonable too.

[COLOR=blue]Blue Jeep Club Member #23[/COLOR]

'92 [COLOR=blue]Blue[/COLOR] YJ 4.0 HO, 5spd.
'04 [COLOR=silver]Bright Silver[/COLOR] Liberty Sport 4X4 3.7L Stock for now
[URL]www.peaceriverjeepers.com[/URL]

What do a Divorce in Alabama, A Tornado in Kansas and a Hurricane in Florida all have in common?.....No matter what someone is fixin' to lose a trailer
Wildbill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2001, 08:42 PM   #6
Big92Jeep
2008 JK Wrangler 

I ma in the sand at least 5 days a week over here in Destin FL. My 33"BFG MTs do very well in the sand. If drop the tire pressure about to about 25 they are even better.

~RýCK
Unread 12-19-2001, 09:03 PM   #7
osburn
1995 YJ Wrangler 

25psi? We run more like 10psi in the sand around here. 12 max. And we definately run some sand out here on occasion. Here's some old pics at Glamis when I was on 32" tires. Granted, they were mud terrains. But I still contend the ATs work better in soft sand.

osburn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.