Can anyone explain what shackles are and how they are installed?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Can anyone explain what shackles are and how they are installed??

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectJKS Now Available at www.baseline4x4.com, Trackbars, SkidsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-05-2002, 02:50 PM   #1
Plink

Can anyone explain what shackles are and how they are installed??

Anyone?

[B]Need new front and rear bumpers[/B]
[B]HAM: KB3JQS[/B]
Plink is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2002, 02:58 PM   #2
V8wrangler_idaho

if you look on your leaf springs on your jeep. one side is connected right to the frame. and the other side has a peice that comes down from the frame and connects to the spring. that peice is the shackel. On the front of your jeep it will be right on the very front of your leaf spring. they are very easy to install on the frount of the jeep the back are a bit more tricky. frount of the jeep you just lift it off the ground and undo the bolts that hold the shackel to the spring and the frame and then take the shakel off and put on the new one. on the back you will probley have to cut the bolts off the shackel on the top of the shackel that connect to the frame. they are too close to the gas tank to pull them out. so just cut them and replace the bolt no big deal. I did a shackle lift on my jeep in about 2 hours. pretty simple. the hardest thing to do was getting the bolts off the back shackel tell i decited to cut them off. problem solved

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:23 PM   #3
Plink

Cool I plan on putting on some 31x10.5 and maybe a shackle lift around 2". Should I plan on getting new shocks to fit the lift??
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:36 PM   #4
MusicMaverick
2010 JK Wrangler 

no, but wait till you get your tires to put the shackle lift in. Alot of people will say 2" is too much and anything over 1" is too much. I am in the same boat you are in. I have the 31's in my garage, waiting for the rims i ordered to come in. Should be in on monday. I'll let you know how everything turns out but if I dont really see a need to get shackles I might just skip it all together.

Past vehicles:
1992 YJ
1997 TJ
MusicMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2002, 03:47 PM   #5
V8wrangler_idaho

if you go with a 2 inch lift that would be about a 3 inch longer shackel and thats probley to much. the place that you would notice the diffrence is when you are climbing hills. The frount of the jeep will fill like it raises alot. feels like your floating. I would only go with a 1 1/2 shackel lift. and new shocks wouldn't hurt

93 wrangler 8 inch SOA SRS suspention lift 35/12.50 Mt. efi 350 700r4 tranny np 205 t case dana 44s front and rear. lots of extras.
V8wrangler_idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2002, 04:13 PM   #6
Plink

What I'll probably do is just throw the 31s on and see how the thing runs. If I have some rubbing I'll look into a 2" suspension lift and skip the shackles all together.
Unread 04-05-2002, 05:30 PM   #7
JeepBeep
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Best to just get it done the right way and go with the suspension lift. Would have to say anything more then 1" would be hokey. You only paid 50$ for your Jeep? Where did you find that Discount Market?

'95 YJ 2.5L 3" Sus.
ProComp MT 33s"
JeepBeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.