Camshaft position sensor 94 YJ 2.5L FI - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Camshaft position sensor 94 YJ 2.5L FI

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Year End Clearance Sale! Save 20%

Unread 10-30-2008, 10:07 PM   #1
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Camshaft position sensor 94 YJ 2.5L FI

I have been having trouble starting my Jeep after it sits for longer than a couple of hours. The check engine light has been on intermittently, and once I am able to get it started after several attempts of long cranking it runs fine. I can also turn it off after it has run, and it will start right back up. I used the check engine light method to extract the codes and 3 came out. the code numbers were 12, 33, and 54.

The 12 code was for loss of power to the PCM, the 33 was for the AC clutch fan relay (I don't have AC), and the 54 was for no camshaft signal detected during cranking.

What does that mean??? Is the camshaft position sensor going bad? Because after cranking it over for several 15-20 second attempts it will fire and if I step on the gas it will start.

Initially I thought it may be a fuel pump issue, but that doesn't make sense either because it will run fine after I get it started.

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

ChiroSean is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-30-2008, 10:22 PM   #2
pat8942
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Check the connection at the distributor ,the cam sensor is part of the distributor.
If all is good with the connection then the sync sensor in the distributor is probably going bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiroSean View Post
I have been having trouble starting my Jeep after it sits for longer than a couple of hours. The check engine light has been on intermittently, and once I am able to get it started after several attempts of long cranking it runs fine. I can also turn it off after it has run, and it will start right back up. I used the check engine light method to extract the codes and 3 came out. the code numbers were 12, 33, and 54.

The 12 code was for loss of power to the PCM, the 33 was for the AC clutch fan relay (I don't have AC), and the 54 was for no camshaft signal detected during cranking.

What does that mean??? Is the camshaft position sensor going bad? Because after cranking it over for several 15-20 second attempts it will fire and if I step on the gas it will start.

Initially I thought it may be a fuel pump issue, but that doesn't make sense either because it will run fine after I get it started.

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:29 PM   #3
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Hey guys just an update. It turns out it wasn't the cam position sensor at all. Before I pulled the distributor to change the sensor, I decided to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and there was no pressure at all when the ignition was turned on. I couldn't even hear the fuel pump run. Looking into it further I pulled the fuel pump relay out and tested it and it check out ok. it was looking like a bad fuel pump, and then accidentally I left the ignition turned on and was messing with the fuse box when I heard the relay open and the pump ran! I pulled the relay out and looked down into the plugs and noticed one of the connectors was pushed down inside and wasn't making good contact. I was able to push it back up into place by taking the bottom of the panel off. It seemed to be fine for a while and then I took it across the field and back. I parked it and went inside to grab a bite to eat, came back out and it wouldn't turn the fuel pump on again. I pulled the relay and that same connector had fallen off and wasn't making contact with the relay. I put it back on and it started. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the damn plug up where it is supposed to be and quit falling off. Any suggestions???
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:36 PM   #4
Finallyajeep
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Super Glue!
Finallyajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #5
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Your a jeeper! duct tape!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-01-2008, 06:55 PM   #6
ChiroSean
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I'll try it. thanks.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.