Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Camshaft position sensor 94 YJ 2.5L FI

14K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ChiroSean 
#1 ·
I have been having trouble starting my Jeep after it sits for longer than a couple of hours. The check engine light has been on intermittently, and once I am able to get it started after several attempts of long cranking it runs fine. I can also turn it off after it has run, and it will start right back up. I used the check engine light method to extract the codes and 3 came out. the code numbers were 12, 33, and 54.

The 12 code was for loss of power to the PCM, the 33 was for the AC clutch fan relay (I don't have AC), and the 54 was for no camshaft signal detected during cranking.

What does that mean??? Is the camshaft position sensor going bad? Because after cranking it over for several 15-20 second attempts it will fire and if I step on the gas it will start.

Initially I thought it may be a fuel pump issue, but that doesn't make sense either because it will run fine after I get it started.

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

#2 ·
Check the connection at the distributor ,the cam sensor is part of the distributor.
If all is good with the connection then the sync sensor in the distributor is probably going bad.

I have been having trouble starting my Jeep after it sits for longer than a couple of hours. The check engine light has been on intermittently, and once I am able to get it started after several attempts of long cranking it runs fine. I can also turn it off after it has run, and it will start right back up. I used the check engine light method to extract the codes and 3 came out. the code numbers were 12, 33, and 54.

The 12 code was for loss of power to the PCM, the 33 was for the AC clutch fan relay (I don't have AC), and the 54 was for no camshaft signal detected during cranking.

What does that mean??? Is the camshaft position sensor going bad? Because after cranking it over for several 15-20 second attempts it will fire and if I step on the gas it will start.

Initially I thought it may be a fuel pump issue, but that doesn't make sense either because it will run fine after I get it started.

I can use all the help I can get. Thanks.

#3 ·
Hey guys just an update. It turns out it wasn't the cam position sensor at all. Before I pulled the distributor to change the sensor, I decided to check the fuel pressure at the fuel rail, and there was no pressure at all when the ignition was turned on. I couldn't even hear the fuel pump run. Looking into it further I pulled the fuel pump relay out and tested it and it check out ok. it was looking like a bad fuel pump, and then accidentally I left the ignition turned on and was messing with the fuse box when I heard the relay open and the pump ran! I pulled the relay out and looked down into the plugs and noticed one of the connectors was pushed down inside and wasn't making good contact. I was able to push it back up into place by taking the bottom of the panel off. It seemed to be fine for a while and then I took it across the field and back. I parked it and went inside to grab a bite to eat, came back out and it wouldn't turn the fuel pump on again. I pulled the relay and that same connector had fallen off and wasn't making contact with the relay. I put it back on and it started. Now all I have to do is figure out how to keep the damn plug up where it is supposed to be and quit falling off. Any suggestions???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.