Cam upgrade or roller rockers - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cam upgrade or roller rockers

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 01-17-2014, 08:46 AM   #1
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Cam upgrade or roller rockers

I've been looking to wake up a 4.0 a bit for a longtime but never bit the bullet since I didn't feel like tearing my engine apart. However yesterday I killed my current engine with some sort of valve train failure and to me it's easier to replace with a donor 4.0. I've got your typical 4.0 w/exhaust and plan on installing a 99+ intake. So the question is has anyone used one of the hesco or comp cam lumpsticks in their 4.0? Hows the idle, vacuum for braking and any low end power increase?

The other upgrade I've been researching a bit is roller tipped rockers that they claim will have almost the same effects using a 1.7 ratio. Has anyone tried those?

I'm not looking to build a stroker and don't have the time or want to spend the money at the moment to swap in a 5.3L. Just looking for a mild increase in pep since the replacement engine will be on the stand.

Unread 01-17-2014, 09:15 AM   #2
zeus87gn
Automotive Neurosurgeon

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Subscribed - would be interesting to know if there ar roller cam setups available

"Man has not yet evolved an inch from the primordial slime that spawned him." Mark Blankfield, Jekyll & Hyde... Together again

Holley Carb thread
zeus87gn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 09:37 AM   #3
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I can highly recommend Hesco. AMC contracted Hesco to run their racing program back in the day. Leee (yes three E`s) the owner and Bennie the program manager have forgotten more then most will ever know.

To answer your question, I run the 274/.470 in my stroker with roller rockers. Dyno`s at close to 300hp and 275 lbs/ft of torque.

The major key in keeping the MAP sensor happy (and brakes) is a lobe centerline no less then 113ish. Mine idles at around 14 inches with 113* C/L and a 4* advance. Take a look at the RVOB if you have the gears but better yet give Bennie a call. He will be more then happy to guide you.

Only one whom is (was ?) offering a roller cam is 505. A company I wouldn't buy dog food from. Those whom ran the 505 roller had premature wear as the least of their problems. Stay away from 505.

There has been some talk over on http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/index.php about making up some rollers but not sure what stage the project is in right now. Perhaps getting in touch with SilverXJ over there might be an idea.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2014, 10:58 AM   #4
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

I was hoping you'd chime in since I know you have experience building strokers. I've heard all about 505 and plan to stay far away.

Hesco seems to be the best name out there but todo a full cam swap according to the site since the donor engine is a 97 will be over $1000 for maybe 20hp/tq once I've changed the valves etc. I'll have to give them a call and see what they say about how to build some hp in a stock 4.0 without stroking it. Did you have to run a valve cover spacer or tall cover to clear the roller rockers and what ratio are they?

The other cam I was looking at was from comp cams or mopar performance but I'm unsure if i'll be opening the same can of worms to keep it reliable.
Unread 01-17-2014, 11:29 AM   #5
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Thanks for the kind words.

There are differences in the cam button to prevent walk but both styles would be readily available. Guess you can`t put everything on the web site. Mine is set up with the pin and spring and thus far no worries.

No need to change valves unless they are simply worn. The 2.02 valves actually flow less due to shrouding.

Indeed a VC spacer which also drives a thermostat spacer is what I had to use for the rollers.

Give the guys over at strokers a shout. Great group and you would be welcome no matter what. They can give you first hand experience with most any set up you might want.
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:07 PM   #6
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Looks like its a stock cam for now. I talked to hesco and they are having an issue getting the spring retainers made for last couple months with no conctrete eta. Bernie was very nice on the phone and suggested the rovb cam aswell.
Unread 01-24-2014, 02:39 PM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

I`ve been giving Hesco a lot of mileage lately. Glad to read they are taking care of their customers.
Unread 01-24-2014, 04:10 PM   #8
ssyj94
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Yea I just wish they had something for me to put in my engine. The only other thing Im considering is the mopar performance setup if I can get my hands on all of it.
Unread 01-24-2014, 06:49 PM   #9
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

Give Chris (silverXJ) over on http://www.jeepstrokers.com/forum/in...bb6bf28d131bab a shout. He is the moderator and is an excellent source for spring and spring related information. There are plenty of good choices out there that you could take advantage of. Suspect he would even have an inside line to the Mopar stuff you mention.

Just got off the phone with him. Feel free to use me as a reference. I use the same screen name in both forums so there won`t be any confusion..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.