Cam swap? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cam swap?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 07-28-2010, 01:39 PM   #1
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Cam swap?

Hey, So I'm thinking about swaping out cams in a the next couple weeks since It looks like I need a new timing chain, so i figured I can swap cams at the same time. So I have a few questions of course,

1. How long does it take or should it take?
2. Any special tools reqiered?
3. Recomendations on a good low torque high HP cam?
4. Special fluids (Beer) how much and what brand is best for this job?
5. Can it be done alone or will I need a friend to help?
6. Any good write-ups I should read before starting this job?
7. Is this a do able job for your average Joe who can turn a wrench?

So the cam I was looking at was the clifford performance cam, the reason why is it comes with just about everything...ie, new high lift sprins, retainers, hardend pushrods, cam and hydraulic lifters. And the cam itself sounds like what I'm looking for. Recently, like 6 moths ago I did the 4.0l head swap so I know my top end/valve train is good and while I was doing that I checked out the pistons and cylinder walls and they look good as well.

For those who have recomendations this is what I'm working with....
4.2l w/4.0 head swap
mc2100
nuttered
HEI
4:56 gearing running 33's but stepping up to 35's after the cam swap

Im thinking I should have enough power to turn 35's with that gearing and those engine mods to include the new cam. Ohhh btw, if anybody was wondering about drivability with 33's running 4:56 gearing I have to say that bottom end torque is good, very short gears, crappy highway drivability and MPG not so good. I hope this changes with the bigger tires and new cam (except the low end torque of course). Longer gears and better highway drivability/lower rpm's for better MPG would be nice without loosing that low end power. As always looking for suggestions and insight....

3.5in BDS, 1" daystar MM, Posi Lock, D-30 w/Tru-track, Stock D-35, 33x12.5x15's, 4:56, 4.0l head swap, AX15 Swap, HEI, Howell TBI. AA SYE, Tom Woods DS.
Puinsai is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 01:51 PM   #2
pasinbuy
1994 YJ Wrangler 

1. How long does it take or should it take? ...............A day should do it.

2. Any special tools reqiered? .........................A gear puller for the timing gears, Advanced Auto will loan you the tool

3. Recomendations on a good low torque high HP cam? .......................Sorry

4. Special fluids (Beer) how much and what brand is best for this job? ..............When doing a job like this I never drink, I hate to make mistakes and drinking makes me so strong that I break things or make stupid mistakes and/or I mislay things.

5. Can it be done alone or will I need a friend to help? ............Do it yourself job.

6. Any good write-ups I should read before starting this job? ............... A manual is all that you need. Although before removing the timing chain match up the timing gear marks, then before installing match up your new timing gears to the old gears to be sure that the marks match.

7. Is this a do able job for your average Joe who can turn a wrench?.......... Yes

Have fun, I always lay out my parts as I remove them so that the install goes in the same order. Some people just throw them in a box, I don't.
pasinbuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, hey thanks for the response. I'm assuming i have to remove the front grill and radiator, but will I have to pull the harmonic dampener and pully from the crankshaft? Or is there enough room to get the timing gear cover off? Also, I know I have to drop the oil pan since I'm almost possative I cant remove the lifters out through the head and the block using a magnet, I think on most 4.2l their mushroomed, correct me if i'm wrong.
Anyway, I have all the gaskets needed for the job and I am going to have to pull off my head while I'm at it, I know I have some coolant leakage from my head swap last year that needs to be looked at, I'm thinking through one or more of the water jackets that were JB welded. I'm going to talk to the guy at clifford performance and make sure I get the right length pushrods and cam for the job, 4.2l block with a 4.0l head. Also I need to ask him about cam bearings, I didnt see them listed with the kit.
Probably a good call on the no additional human fluid consumption....i'll wait till its done.

Does anybody have anything else though? I know I havnt addressed everything.

Hopefully when this is said and done I will be pleased with the results......I plan on taking a lot of pictures and possibly doing a write-up on it since I didnt see one in the FAQ.
3.5in BDS, 1" daystar MM, Posi Lock, D-30 w/Tru-track, Stock D-35, 33x12.5x15's, 4:56, 4.0l head swap, AX15 Swap, HEI, Howell TBI. AA SYE, Tom Woods DS.
Unread 07-28-2010, 02:40 PM   #4
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I would either buy new stamped steel rockers (factory) or roller rockers for it as well. You would be amazed how worn out the stock arms are and the wear will affect your performance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:30 AM   #5
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

I put in new rockers when I did the head swap about six months ago, I hope their not worn out already...
Unread 07-29-2010, 10:00 AM   #6
MJMPC
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If you are going to run 35s you should go to a better rearend like a 8.8.

http://www.dav.org/

MJM Powder Coating
Elizabethtown Ky.

http://www.cityprofile.com/
MJMPC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 11:55 AM   #7
jsawduste
Web Wheeler
2006 YJ Wrangler 

The balancer needs to come off. As does the head.

Get a new timing chain set also.

Hesco is a sure bet for a cam and all the parts you need. Call and talk to Bennie. He will give you the straight scoop on which cam to run. My opinion is the RVOB model.
Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service

Hesco knows more about the Jeep engine family then any other company. There products are not cheap but they are the best.
jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2010, 01:35 PM   #8
MLJeeper
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puinsai View Post
I put in new rockers when I did the head swap about six months ago, I hope their not worn out already...
What do the top of the valve stems look like. If there mangles then your new rockers are too. if nto you should be good to go with those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anticanman View Post
Any video of the sound?
MLJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:17 AM   #9
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJMPC View Post
If you are going to run 35s you should go to a better rearend like a 8.8.
Yep...thats part of my summer makeover...=)
Unread 07-30-2010, 01:23 AM   #10
Puinsai
1987 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsawduste View Post
The balancer needs to come off. As does the head.

Get a new timing chain set also.

Hesco is a sure bet for a cam and all the parts you need. Call and talk to Bennie. He will give you the straight scoop on which cam to run. My opinion is the RVOB model.
Hesco Inc. - High Performance Engine Service

Hesco knows more about the Jeep engine family then any other company. There products are not cheap but they are the best.
Thanks, I'll check them out, I am going to get a new timing chain, thats the whole reason I'm getting into this to beging with. Figured it would be a perfect time to get a new cam, fix my head gasket leak, and oil pan/rear main all at the same time. Also putting in a rebuilt AX-15 and np231 t/c with an AA sye/ cv drive shaft and an 8.8 rear end. Dropping some serious $$ into it before winter hits, winter in Alaska is brutal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.