Cam shaft gear bad or good? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Cam shaft gear bad or good?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-11-2013, 03:25 PM   #1
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Cam shaft gear bad or good?

i6 258 in an 89. bought jeep nuttered and running on a 73[I think ] d-remy points dizzy.Various reasons to get rid of that distributor and so I bought a DUI.
Started to install the unit today and peeked into the engine block to inspect the gear on the shaft.No metal shavings or anything, either there or in the oil pan bottom, however the gear looked to be worn. I have zero knowledge on this sort of thing but toward the rear <--- of the gear the teeth ends seem to be more of a v than a u shape like they are in the middle and rest of the assembly.
I then checked the dizzy gear and found slight corresponding wear marks, however the dizzy is only slightly worn whereas the camshaft gear edges seem to be like a 50 degree inclusive bevel.
My fear is that someone may have used a hardened dizzy gear on the motor at one point and then when they sold it threw a points dizzy on instead.
The motor has VERY few miles on it and I guess my question is how does one know exactly when that camshaft gear is dun for?
Obviously I don't wanna throw that DUI on a bad camshaft gear but I just don't know if it is any good or not.Does anyone have a picture of what a bad one looks like or what a good one looks like for that matter?I need to know if im gonna need to replace that camshaft or if ill be ok.

ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Suprmn
1989 YJ Wrangler 

If you can insert the distributor and there is little to no gear lash I would run it and never look back. This gear interchange is not a high stress or wear point.
89 Wrangler, All OME suspension, Dana 44 rear, Upgraded Alloy USA Dana 30, Rock Hard & OR-Fab cage mods, Warrior bumpers, XRC 8000 winch, Weber Carb, Corbeau seats, Double D dash, Solid Axle diff covers, Borgeson steering shaft, flowmaster exhaust, Tom Woods driveshafts.
Suprmn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-11-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
roadyrob
1987 YJ Wrangler 

the gear should have a flat spot on the edge not a sharp point but from your post it sounds like only part of it is worn. like already posted check the lash, install the distributor and gently turn the rotor back and forth, you should be able to feel when it makes contact. if there is little to no play you should be ok.

the voices aren't real but they sure have good ideas.
roadyrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #4
ForestJeep89
1989 YJ Wrangler 

False alarm!..

Thanx for the replys but I havnt got the problem anymore.

It is amazing how shapes and edges at the bottom of a hole look different after you flood them with 210 lumens instead of a crappy failing flashlight...

Note to others:dont use a crappy failing flashlight...

tx
ForestJeep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.