Calling all AX-15 experts - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > YJ Wrangler Technical Forum > Calling all AX-15 experts

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:09 AM   #1
rwcook49

Calling all AX-15 experts

Here's my question/dilema.

I had my AX-15 rebuilt when I was doing my engine swap. I have just never really been happy with the shifting.

Basically the symptoms are that when I'm shifting with 3500 rpm or more, I can feel and hear the synchronizers engaging gear to gear. They're not grinding, but I can feel it through the shifter and can even hear it with my loud exhaust.

If I double clutch or shift under lower revs, this does not happen and it shifts smoothly.

When I took it back to the tranny shop where I had it rebuilt the guy told me that since I'm running full synthetic (Royal purple synchromax) I will have noisier shifts and that it's shifting normally.

So my question is: Am I just paranoid? How noisy is noisy with synthetic? I've typically been of the mind that even with light oils you shouldn't be hearing the syncrhos.

Any thoughts?

Unread 07-12-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

It sounds normal. I typically don't shift higher than 3200 RPM's just to be nice to the tranny.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 09:00 AM   #3
bamato
1993 YJ Wrangler 

I don't rev it that high to shift unless I'm in four low. And it sounds about right. Synthetic is noisey it seems. I put royal purple in after my rebuild and it makes the tranny whine a little. All in all it seems about normal. Nothing wrong with bein paranoid though. I think we all are sometimes, especially with driveline components.
Mud is your Friend :)

Tread Lightly
Please help keep our trails clean for future generations to enjoy outdoor recreation as well!
bamato is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2007, 09:52 AM   #4
rwcook49

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'm heading up wheelin this weekend and didn't want it to detonate on me.

Thanks again.

Bob

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.